Making The Decision To Euthanize

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is the hardest thing i have had to deal with in all my years of having pets. I have found it harder with fish, because i do not have a vet to give advice and help me make the decision.

I have a cockatoo cichlid who is in bad shape. They were all infected with camallanus worms a few months ago. I treated with levamisole and saw no more signs of worms, though i know it is hard to tell. My three apistos were struggling. There was a lot of gasping, on and off. I know bad infections of camallanus worms can cause secondary bacterial infections after the worms have been paralyzed if the fish is not able to pass all the worms out of his system.

So far, one has died, one is doing fine, and one is in terrible shape. I have been treating him for bacterial infections but he is getting worse. Today is the first day he won't eat. Before he would lay on the bottom of the tank, gasping, but would still eat. Today he barely moves,

I have always believed that once the animal can do nothing but suffer, it is time to euthanize. I don't think my fish will get better but it's such a hard decision to make.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’m so sorry, I’ve been there.

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Observe your fish closely (as I'm sure you have) and
try to put yourself in your fish's situation.
Given the choice of living in its present condition or being relieved of its suffering,
which option do you think it would choose?

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He's barely alive. When i tried to feed him earlier, it looked like he made an attempt to get at the bloodworm right in front of him but couldn't. I would choose to be relieved.

It's so hard not to think negatively of myself. What could i have done better to help him? Maybe he could have been saved if i had treated him earlier. I can't help but feel like this is all my fault.

HORNET1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jellibeen said:
I can't help but feel like this is all my fault.
It's the circle of life, my dear.
Perhaps you made some mistakes as we all do from time to time. However, don't be too hard on yourself.
And, if you discover that you made a mistake or two, learn from it and resolve to do better next time.

Jabberwock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take it easy on yourself. Do what you feel is right. If it is time, make it quick and clean. Part of life is death...

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used the clove oil method. I hope he didn't feel pain. Thank you everyone for the support. It's hard to talk to non-fish people about this sort of thing because i often get a response laced with "it's just a fish." I appreciate the reassurance and kind words from fellow fish people.

Jabberwock

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tough work to do. I know you made the correct decision and did the best you could.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you. For such a simple task, it was tough work. Rest in peace fishie. It is a relief that he isn’t suffering anymore.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jellibeen said:
Thank you. For such a simple task, it was tough work. Rest in peace fishie. It is a relief that he isn’t suffering anymore.
The hardest part of being responsible for another living being, is knowing when to end its suffering. There’s always the after questions. Please, remember you love your finbabies. You did everything you could. I understand pain. If I had a choice, I know what I’d want. But humans don’t get a humane option. You gave this darling fish your heart and soul. Many people will never realize how hard it is to euthanize another being. You gave your finbaby freedom from pain. I wish I could tell you how relieved it must have felt. Your baby can’t say it so I will: thank you for caring enough to do the hardest right thing you could. Hugs.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom