Making sure I got a M/F pair

holty2503

Hi all, got two dwarf Gourami yesterday and just wanted to make sure they where a male and female pair, I know the female is normally not as brightly coloured as the male, it's just when the light hits the female she has a slight pink ish colour to her.

Female.jpg
Male.jpg

Fae

I'm not honestly sure but I gotta say, DANG that's a big belly on your fish!!

Upvote 0

holty2503

Not sure if it's eggs or not?

Upvote 0

Fae

Not sure if it's eggs or not?
Hmm well I suppose youd find out soon. Are they fighting at all? How big is your tank? Is the obvious male blowing a bubble nest or getting aggressive?

Upvote 0

holty2503

The tank is totally peaceful no signs of aggresstion, my tank is 125L with quite alot of plants in there to, not seen any bubble nest this morning at all, only bought them home yesterday midday time.

Upvote 0

Fae

The tank is totally peaceful no signs of aggresstion, my tank is 125L with quite alot of plants in there to, not seen any bubble nest this morning at all, only bought them home yesterday midday time.
Based on that, you probably have a male and female because two males would most likely be sparring

Upvote 0

holty2503

Thats great news then, her body is a bit more rounded then the neon DG, just wanted conformation.

Upvote 0

Fae

Thats great news then, her body is a bit more rounded then the neon DG, just wanted conformation.
Honestly they both look very bloated, I would either feed them a blanched pea and hold off on food otherwise for a couple days or give an Epsom salt bath.

I can't 100% confirm that's a female but I'm willing to make an educated guess it is lol

Upvote 0

holty2503

That picture was taken literally just after they'd been fed some frozen bloodworm so maybe that's why the male looks a bit bloated he went crazy for the bloodworm, I'll send a picture tonight when they've settled a bit more.

Upvote 0

Ryngwrayth

Feed them daphnia, freeze dried is fine. I always feed that when someone is bloated. Natural and easily accepted laxative for fish.

Upvote 0

Fae

That picture was taken literally just after they'd been fed some frozen bloodworm so maybe that's why the male looks a bit bloated he went crazy for the bloodworm, I'll send a picture tonight when they've settled a bit more.

Oh I know the struggle of that! My female betta in my community looks like she's gonna explode sometimes, she eats as voraciously as my tetras. Tbh it's a problem xD

Feed them daphnia, freeze dried is fine. I always feed that when someone is bloated. Natural and easily accepted laxative for fish.
Do you have a brand recommendation? I have hikari but I'm not a fan of the fillers

Upvote 0

holty2503

Guess I'm going to have to pop to the shop now and get some lol.

Upvote 0

Ryngwrayth

I use Hikari Daphnia.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AcuarioAmazonico
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch