Help Making sure corys receive food?

SeanStuchbery

Reaction score
hey all,

I have a small school of pygmy corys, they're my first venture into corys! they're incredibly cute as we all know, but i'm worried about keeping them fed.

I only have otos, and 7 other neons in my ADA 60H, heavily planted, with sand around the base of the tank with a built up planted centre, so I feel as though they have some sand to sift through as i've heard they like, but I don't think I have ever seen them eat anything offered to them directly?

I put 2 small sections of algae wafer on either side of the tank (to keep the neons at bay), and drop in bloodworm every other day, the neons go nuts for both. my concern is that the corys aren't getting of either.

they've been in the tank for 2 weeks, and they're all alive and active, but i'm concerned for their longevity.

any and all replies welcomed! cheers!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
Feed your little guys after lights out and hopefully they will find their food before the other fish do. Corys need a meatier diet than algae wafers offer so you may want to consider giving them occasional bloodworms or shrimp pellets along with other foods that will supply the protein they need in their diet.

OP
SeanStuchbery

SeanStuchbery

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Corys need a meatier diet than algae wafers offer so you may want to consider giving them occasional bloodworms
yeah this is my concern, I feed bloodworms, but getting them to the corys in particular is the challenge, the neons just scoop it all up too fast it seems

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I give mine the little sinking shrimp pellets. The neons will likely nip at them on the way down, but will leave them alone once they hit the bottom.

I also give them zucchini, cut into chunks and boiled until they stop floating. Don't give much of that, and discard whatever portion hasn't been eaten the following morning. I used to give them algae wafers, and they seem to like them, but someone here said they don't get much nutritional value from those.

OP
SeanStuchbery

SeanStuchbery

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
I also give them zucchini, cut into chunks and boiled until they stop floating.
how big of a chunk do you go for? my otos love cucumber so much...

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SeanStuchbery said:
how big of a chunk do you go for? my otos love cucumber so much...
I quarter the zucchinI lengthwise, then slice those strips about 1/2" to 3/4" long, and feed them one at a time. If the zucchinI is mature enough to have seeds remove them before boiling.

New Threads