Making Salinity Right

FishGuy86
Hey guys. First off, I'm new to this. I just got a 30 gallon tank about 3 days ago. It came in a kit with the heater, chemicals, food, light, top, and filter (Aqua-Tech Power Filter). I've added the live sand and the tank is filled and everything is cycling. I have cleaned the filter numerous times already so that my tank will clear faster. Just this morning the "new tank cloud" was gone. Water and sand are the only things in there as of now. My question is how can I get my salinity correct? I've been adding salt, but do I stir as I add...or just dump salt in? Is it ok if some of the salt sinks to the bottom? And lastly, is the filter ok...it has the carbon and bio fiber in it. Sorry it's so long...I just don't want to mess anything up. Thanks so much!!;D

sgould
If the only water movement you have in the tank right now is a power filter, you should do some stirring as you add. The filter by itself is not going to create enough tank wide circulation to fully mix the salt. Given time the salt will eventually mix/equalize anyway, but without circulation, either by hand or by power heads, it will be a slower process which will make it harder for you to truly know when you have the SG you are shooting for. Probably goes without saying, but just in case...once the tank is established and stocked you will want to pre-mix your salt water in a bucket or something, let sit for a day or two and then add to the tank.

The filter/carbon combination is fine. Remember to change the carbon periodically. Are you going to be adding live rock as well, or fish only?

agsansoo
jar05g,

11.gif

I'm on the welcoming committee today !

FishGuy86
You guys are so helpful...and thanks for the welcome. To answer sgould...I am going to be adding live rock and fish at some point. I'm in the college life now...so making the money is primary...so I have to take things a little slower...which isn't a bad thing. At least I'll have the time to ask questions. Since it's only 30 gallons, the guy at the fish store said I could get away with having one powerhead...which I will get in the near future. But once I get the powerhead...it's perfectly fine to just dump the salt in right? And once I get fish, I would premix it the day before...that makes sense.

sgould
I'm on the welcoming committee today !

I think you're also on the funky animation committee! ;D

agsansoo
I think you're also on the funky animation committee! ;D

That too !

sgould
But once I get the powerhead...it's perfectly fine to just dump the salt in right?

I personally would still do some stirring (it doesn't take much), but it shouldn't hurt anything to do it the other way. Just pour slowly near the powerhead outflow...don't "dump".

agsansoo
Powerhead, bucket and a heater and let it mix for 24 hours. Then re-check your SG. That's it.

FishGuy86
Sounds good. I'll be sure to try it. Does SG have to be perfect before putting in live rock?

sgould
Somewhere between 1.021 and 1.025. If you follow the directions that come with the salt mix, you should end up inside that range.

FishGuy86
I have followed the directions, but my SG is still low. I'm taking readings about three times a day...and they are always low...so I'll add salt. I'm just getting lost I guess.

sgould
Keep track of how much total salt per volume of water you end up using to hit a good result. It will make your next batch easier!

bhcaaron
Here's Aaron butting in again....

So when you premix salt batches, you have to let it sit? I was thinking of adding an extra powerhead to my shopping list to have it in the mixing bucket. At the same time, I never thought of warming the mix before adding it to the system. Would I also need an extra heater for the bucket?

sgould
Yes to both.

bhcaaron
Short and to the point hahah. I must be annoying you now lol jk (I hope)

sgould
Heh...nope...had two squabbling children behind me at the time!

bhcaaron
haha... okie dokie

BristolBulldog
I'm looking into changing one of my tanks to Saltwater. and on this subject I was wondering.

on a 400 litre tank, would that mean I have to pre-mix 100 litres of water that day before each week? How do you guys manage this? seems like a lot of water for a 25% water change each week?

(coming from a tropical background).

sgould
I mix mine in a 5 gallon (just under 20 liters?) bucket, drop a heater in the bucket and let sit. My tank is much smaller than yours though, so the 1 bucket is sufficient for my needs.

bhcaaron
I'm looking into changing one of my tanks to Saltwater. and on this subject I was wondering.

on a 400 litre tank, would that mean I have to pre-mix 100 litres of water that day before each week? How do you guys manage this? seems like a lot of water for a 25% water change each week?

(coming from a tropical background).

20% water change will deffinitely keep your ecosystem healthier. As for the other question, I'm not sure I understood, but, you'll want to do the salwater mix at least one day in advace. Dumping freshly mixed saltwater into your tank can be hazzardous to your fishie friends.

leximommy
I think its like 25 percent change each month.... so if you need 100 litres of water a month then just do 25 a week.....oh and you can go to just about anystore and get a storage bucket..... (like rubbermaid...) that will hold whatever you need.... then just mix your water solution up. id recommend getting an extra powerhead and heater though...... you want the water you add to be as close as the water in the tank in every way possible oh and I have another idea but I don't know if it would be good or not so I want to check before I advise you....lol

bhcaaron
From what I've been advised so far, LexiMommy, the water that you premix should not be in constant motion, it should sit. Also, if you decide to get any kind of plastic container, I was advised to get one that is meant for food storage since these have no chance of leaking chemicals from the plastic's make up into the water. I don't know that any other plastic would do that, but, I guess it doesn't hurt to check. Since I'm hoping and wishing to get a tank 100G+ I was thinking of getting a trash can. The kind that has wheels. One for the premix, one for the disposing of water.

leximommy
ok well I was told to have a powerhead and a heater in the water....thanks for clearing that up and rubbermaid plastic is safe. its used for food storage also...... and trashcans usually have a coat on them of something...I don't know what it is, but its chalky feeling and sometimes you can see it...I dunno how easy it will wash off either so be carefull....

bhcaaron
Now I have to research the powerhead further. And, ugh! back to the drawing board with the trash can idea!

leximommy
lol well hello! rubbermaid! if you don't trust me just call the comapny and they can tell you.... actually you know what...my father ordered about 100 food safe plastic bottles (dont ask me why) but I bet I can get the name of the company and see if they have big trash can size bukets or something that are food safe....

bhcaaron
Hey! We're both newbies and we are the same in that we have to look up info on what anyone tells us, you know you do too =b

leximommy
lol yea yea yea I know....lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ObsolisPrime
Replies
Views
Nart
Replies
Views
Vision