Making Progress on the New 65

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The used 65 gallon tank and stand that my wife got me for Christmas has just been sitting there empty since she brought it home. I finally got started with it yesterday. I wiped it down with vinegar, then water, then wiped it dry. Next I got the filter out of the box and got it put together (thank again coralbandit). Of course the stand was too close to the wall for it to fit so I moved it out enough to leave about 3/4" space between the filter and the wall. My daughter-in-law came over, and she couldn't stand waiting any longer to see if the light that came with it worked, so we plugged it in and turned it on. It worked. That was it for yesterday.

This morning I put 10 gallons of water in it, and then I had to wipe the sides down again to get rid of the water spots from the splashing. I'm going to let it sit like that for a few hours to see if any leaks show up.

This afternoon my daughter-in-law and I are making an excursion to a LFS or two (or maybe three) to get some plants. When we get home I plan to add the substrate (pool filter sand) and at least some of the plants.

I already have some crypts from Mcasella, and I'm pulling a sword out of the 40 gallon. I'm not sure what else I'll get, other than another sword or two. I have plenty of water wisteria I could put in it, but I already have that in both my other tanks, so probably not in this one.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like progress to me. Keep on trucking and have it running by Valentine’s Day!!

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
saltwater60 said:
Sounds like progress to me. Keep on trucking and have it running by Valentine’s Day!!
Thanks. I'm hoping to gain some momentum now and have it running well before then. I got some substrate in a little while ago, and now I'm waiting for the cloudiness to settle so I can see to put some plants in it. Hopefully I'll get at least most of them in this evening.

I'm hoping to have a few fish in it by next week this time. I have an old piece of filter media in the 40 I plan to put in it, along with a sponge filter that's been running in that tank for about 3 weeks that I'll move over, so I should have an "instant cycle."

I haven't decided 100% on the stocking, but I'm still leaning toward 10 or so bronze corys, a single koi angel, and one or two schools of rainbowfish. I'm looking hard at Turquoise and Boesemani, but I'm open to suggestions.

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Thanks. I'm hoping to gain some momentum now and have it running well before then. I got some substrate in a little while ago, and now I'm waiting for the cloudiness to settle so I can see to put some plants in it. Hopefully I'll get at least most of them in this evening.

I'm hoping to have a few fish in it by next week this time. I have an old piece of filter media in the 40 I plan to put in it, along with a sponge filter that's been running in that tank for about 3 weeks that I'll move over, so I should have an "instant cycle."

I haven't decided 100% on the stocking, but I'm still leaning toward 10 or so bronze corys, a single koi angel, and one or two schools of rainbowfish. I'm looking hard at Turquoise and Boesemani, but I'm open to suggestions.
I’ve seen some dwarf rainbow fish lately that I’ve really liked. Those boesmani rainbows are nice. Koi angels are near too. I’ve seen some great colors on some of them as well. Sounds like a fun project.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I vote for the Rainbowfish. I've got 2 Boesmani and 2 Australian Rainbowfish and they are great. The Rainbowfish have become some of my favorite community fish. They put on size quick in a few months also. Very hardy fish in my experience.

I think your corydora, angelfish and Rainbowfish stocking plan is a very good choice !

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I vote some sort of wild angelfish

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got impatient and started sticking plants in the substrate before it really settled, so I was working by feel. It will be interesting to see how it looks tomorrow morning.

And it's full of water. By the time I decided to do that it was dark, and I didn't feel like dealing with hoses, so I did it the hard way. Some of you may not know this, but it takes a considerable amount of time and beer to fill a 65 gallon aquarium with a 2.5 gallon bucket.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the heater, lights, and filter running. The tiny plants on the left are some little assorted crypts. They should look a lot better in a few weeks. The led light came with the tank. It's pretty bright, but all white. I'm not sure yet how I feel about that. I can change it out later if I want.

I'm tentatively planning to put 3 - 4 turquoise rainbowfish in it Friday. I'll put an old filter pad from the 40 gallon tank in it so there'll be some bacteria to get the cycle going, and check the water daily and do water changes as needed.

0122202137.jpg

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0124201720_HDR.jpg

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice Melanotaenia / blue rainbows ?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
Nice Melanotaenia / blue rainbows ?
Melanotaenia lacustris, labeled turquoise rainbowfish. Is that the same thing as blue, or a different variety?

I planned to get three or four, but the store only had five. I couldn't leave one in the tank all alone, could I?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
Melanotaenia lacustris, labeled turquoise rainbowfish. Is that the same thing as blue, or a different variety?

I planned to get three or four, but the store only had five. I couldn't leave one in the tank all alone, could I?
You got all that right !
Good for you and them taking them all ! One of my favorite thing to say when I see fish I want ..All !
5 is good group , you should enjoy them .

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
You got all that right !
Good for you and them taking them all ! One of my favorite thing to say when I see fish I want ..All !
5 is good group , you should enjoy them .
Thanks. I'm starting with these five. I'll add more of something in about a week. Maybe more of the same?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
I'm happy to report that all five seem to be doing fine this morning.

0125200754.jpg

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most excellent!

What light do you have on the 65 gallon ?

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Islandvic said:
Most excellent!

What light do you have on the 65 gallon ?
It's an LED that came with the rest of the setup, but it's all white. I don't know much about lights. Should I get one with more colors? And if yes, would that be for the benefit of the fish, or plants?

StarGirl15

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks great so far. Keep updating!

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plant requirements for lightning I'm not very well versed at.

Only asked because I have a 65 gallon tank my friend gave me and still in the process of building a stand for it after numerous delays..... the fish he gave me are still in their temporary housing.

The pic of your 65 gallon looked well lighted, so just curious what it was.

Please keep us updated with your progress!

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I called the Pet Supplies Plus to see if they have more of the Turquoise Rainbowfish since I bought all of them Friday. They didn't, and the kind young lady said to check back next week. I don't think I want to wait until next week on the off chance that they get some in then. It looks like I'll be heading to Houston this weekend to try to find some. I believe 360 Aquatics has fish labeled "Blue Rainbows." I think that's just a different name for the same fish. Does anyone know for sure?

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa said:
I believe 360 Aquatics has fish labeled "Blue Rainbows." I think that's just a different name for the same fish. Does anyone know for sure?
I believe they are usually the same . Sometimes called Turquoise also .
Blue Rainbowfish | Tropical Fish Keeping

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom