Making Planted Divider Walls Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Anne79, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Anne79

Anne79New MemberMember

Hello! Im contemplating to make my 20gal high tank a divided male betta tank. Im looking for a DIY divider idea and the best i found was using a cross stitch canevas with plastic cover bars ... but its not that pretty..

I came across this:

Using mesh, u sandwich java moss in it, and use it as a wall. What do you think of this.? I will need to solidify the corners ( could be using the sliding reports bars) and maybe put one in middle to make it stand stronger... i found fiberglass mesh (rhe one we use on patio door) is fiberglass safe for fish?

Will water flow correctly through the wall moss? Since i ll have 3 walls for 4 spaces of 5 gallons, but only one filter and one heater, so water would have to circulate correctly... im waiting for your thoughts on this :))

Thanks!

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

OMG super smart!!!! My divided 20 gallon tank is in the makeing.... Why would you use a 20 high? 20 long have more room for the bettas and its easier for them to get to the surface. (unless you dont have the room) Anyway, my filters barely go though the mesh on its own... Id try with two filters. ( I use sponge filters)

Anyways love this idea! I usually try to stuff plants against the divider.

3. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

I think this an amazing idea for a tank divider - maybe I'll use it for a tank or two.

My concern is actually the tank you're wanting to divide. While 10 gallons is big enough for a male betta, dividing a 20G high will not be as suitable for two males as you may think. Bettas are obligatory air breathers, meaning they can't breathe without access to air at the surface at the water. This means that they will have to be near the surface often. You can make a deep tank work if you have LOTS of resting places near the surface, but a 20G high won't actually give a betta as much room as you may think -- especially if he's anything other than a plakat. Surface area is what really matters to bettas, and deep tanks make it hard for them to get air while they're resting.

I agree with CanadianFishFan; a 20G long would be amazing as a divided betta tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  4. CanadianFishFan

Exactly! Bettas love to explore sideways <--------->
    They dont like the top because in the wild they live in loooooooooooong streams

5. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

Dividing a 20 high in half is one thing but to make it 4 compartment seems a little too much. The only way i see it working with 1 filter would be with a canister filter so the intake could be at one end and the output at the other.

6. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

I didn't realize that the person was looking at 3 or 4 sections until I saw this and went back to read the post again.

Like I said, even dividing the 20G high into two sections isn't an advisable setup for bettas, nonetheless 3 or 4 sections...

7. CanadianFishFan

I think it makes it even worse. If someone asked me whether to divide a 10gallon for a betta or just use two 5 gallons id say the 5gallons because they are longer for bettas.

8. OP
    OP
    Anne79

Anne79New MemberMember

OMG.... i really never thought of that O_O as a newb, i went on google and everywhere its says to use a minimum of 5 gallons, but they never told us of the minimal lengh of the tank! So as a newb i just did the maths 20gal \ 4 =5 gallons im good!..... what a terrible mistakes! And so many people must think like i just was!

Im falling off my chair... oooooook... thats change a lot of what i had planned. Going back to my paper plans now lol no more divided tank for me! But glad i still gave u a good idea lol and thanks for enlighting me! I really learnt seomething today!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice