Making My Tank Suitable For Shrimp, 5 Gallons

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by CutieCadyPie, Jul 3, 2019.

1. CutieCadyPie

CutieCadyPieNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! so ive been working on trying to help maintain my tank i have a few questions
    my ammonia keeps swishing around from 0 to 0.25ppm and ive tried safe start, i tried stability but i think that using stability i may have had some bb already and it just killed some bb off because my ammonia spiked after a few days (honestly, it spiked after i added my new shrimp, i added about 11 shrimp, but their biowaste is so small it shouldnt have spiked it, the next day after WITHOUT adding any stability the day it spiked it seems to go back down to 0.25) and i havent added stability yet and plan to leave it alone for a week to see if my tank just settles itself out. but if u have any ideas please let me know.
    ALSO, my nitrates are kinda high and idk what to do really theyve been this way and its irritating LOL its either 10-20 or 20-40 its really had for me to see the difference between the colors ( everything i test i use the API master test kit or the API gh and kh test kit)
    ALSO, when i test my kH, i only add one drop and it turns the solution to a VERY soft color o yellow immidiately after mixing. if i add more it gets to be more of that true yellow that i think theyre looking for? but im not quite sure because it doesnt indicate if its ANY yellow or full yellow. however, if it immidiately turns to a soft yellow does that mean my kh is 0 or 1, regardless how do i raise it without messing anything up? I have a bunch of neos and i thought it didnt matter that the kH is low but some people are saying that it does because it can cause failed molts. my pH is at 6.4-6.6. i have a substrate called ultum nature controsoil. on the packaging, it literally says optimal for fish and shrimp lol.
    PLEASE HELP and thank you if you read through all of that

2. Pat93

Pat93Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +99
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have 10 ten gallons currently at 8.2 ph with no heater(they stay 75-80 degrees)
    I do not know my gh or kh as I have never tested it but I will state that I have very hard well water so it is probably to high for me if anything. But I also feed cuttlebone, and calcium and multivitamin supplemnented food to help with molting

Sometimes there’s a faint ammonia reading from my tap water probably .25-.50
    I keep my nitrates < 40
    I started with 8 just a few months ago and now I have hundreds across about 12 tanks.

I would be concerned that your ph is to low, but my ph is to high and they seem fine,
    what is concerning is that if you don’t have a buffer to stabilize your ph it could fluctuate very rapidly and kill shrimp.
    I would also suggest you either remove the shrimp before adjusting it or know for sure that you will only be changing the ph by .1 gradually

If your ph stays steady, you feed them enough, don’t disturb their habitat, and provide them with the vitamins and minerals they need to molt, they should be just fine.

Watch them the first few weeks and a horizontal line will appear on their backs before they molt, or their tails will start to look a little white, then if after a few times of seeing it you don’t find a dead shrimp soon afterwards you will know they are successfully molting.

3. OP
    OP
    CutieCadyPie

Ratings:
    +1
    im trying to better maintain m nitrates its just annoying bc i removed like a gallon to do a drip acc for two new batches and added pure RO (to lower the TDS)
    ive been checking my pH and its been around 6.6 essentially and doesnt flux up or down. the substrate i use also literally says "pH + KH buffering" soo it should be fine. idc if it raises slightly due to the cuttlebone (due to some research) because it will do it slowly and overtime and will still provide them some calcium to promote molting.

4. Pat93

Pat93Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +99
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would love to have zero nitrates in all my tanks as well but I haven’t quite figured it out yet, I was really just letting you know that my little dudes are doing ok even with up to 40 nitrates. And breeding even though I pay literally no attention to gh or kh or temp.
    Extra plants can help with nitrates, floating ones because they grow fast but any will work because they consume ammonia and nitrite before it is converted to nitrate. Find something you can make grow and plant a bajillion of them.

I wouldn’t mix water, just because from what little I know about it, if you do it you have to do it every waterchange after if it has altered the chemistry of your tap water too much so unless that’s really easy for you (or I’m completely wrong which happens alllll the time) then I would suggest just seein what happens if you take really good care of them and keep the water clean. Maybe try to naturaully creep your ph up to around 7
    But if the shrimp are eating and have good color then they are probably doing just fine at 6.6 and a sudden change is what would really rock their world.

I do weekly waterchanges on all my tanks but that’s just my style and you could probably get away with every 2 weeks.

I’m sure you’ll do fine because you seem to be doing your research and asking the right questions( way more so then I did before I haphazardly attempted breeding them. ) good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    CutieCadyPie

Ratings:
    +1
    thanks! im not mixing ro and tap. i emptied my tank and started it over essentially with the better substrate and more plants. so now its just RO water thats either pure RO or remineralized (when i first started). the cuttlebone shouldnt rock their world too much. its at least MUCH safer than adding a chemical into the water to save it. but thank you!! i hope that this colony does much better.... crossing fingers