Making my own fish food

momo9700
I've read things on how to make fish food, but I wanted to know if there was a way to make DRY fish food.

zeebo
HI momo9700,

I have tried:

Mince beef heart with vegetables using blender (can always add extra like vitamins, fish, prawns, garlic etc);
Drain out as much liquid as possible;
Spread it over a big plate (how thin/thick to spread is up to you - naturally it will take less time to cook if spread thinly)
Put in microwave to cook until crispy.

Unfortunately, I have not had time to experiment further with the thickness & the exact timing required.

Once I spread it so thick and it took like > 20mins to cook.
It was harder than biscuit and difficult to break into small pieces.
I had to hammer it to break it up.
Didn't think the fishes could digest it.

I gave it to my dog instead as a treat. He enjoyed it.
It smelled nice. I was tempted to try. I didn't. I kept thinking its fish food...&... food...could not do it.

Good Luck!

momo9700
what vegetables/fruits would fish find appealing? nothing too big, my fish are all2.5 inches and less. I really want to put peas in there, I heard they're really good for fish and i'm sure my platies would LOVE them, although, they love everything...
and, so what i'm assuming, is you make normal fish food with the blender then get the liquid out and microwave it?
one last thing, I know you can put tons of food in there for your fishies, but what food CAN'T I feed them?

zeebo
HI momo9700,

I have tried:

1) Vegetables- carrot skin, potato skin, cabbage, peas, chinese greens, garlic (put into blender; blend till fine)

2) Meat/Seafood - fish, prawns, beef heart (put in blender; blend till fine)

The food I mention above is from surfing the internet. There are other vegetables that u can use.

As for what can't u feed them....erm.....fatty & oily stuff?! I really don't know.

Good Luck.

momo9700
for cabbage, do I just put in a couple of leaves? and do I take the skin off the peas first? oh, could I put maybe some watermelon in there....?

kra-z-fishmumm
for cabbage, do I just put in a couple of leaves? and do I take the skin off the peas first? oh, could I put maybe some watermelon in there....?

Yes take the skins off the peas. As for the watermelon, never heard that one yet. Spinach, cucumbers, lettuce, and zucchinI are also good.

momo9700
do you think it would be ok to give my fishies a little peice of watermelon to see how they like it? just before I put it in my fish food concoctions

zeebo
HI momo9700,

If u r happy to take the risk with the water melon, its really up to you.
And if u decide to take the risk, experiment with TINY, TINY (I can't emphasize enough).....T I N Y.... bit.

How much cabagge u wanna give is really up to you.
Basically, u must plan ahead as to the quantity of ingredients u wanna used & estimate what the total quantity will be like at the end.

U won't know exactly at first but with a few more experimentation, you will get the hang of it. No straight forward answer here.

Good Luck.

Charmaine
This recipe has every thing to keep your fish healthy and you save a lot of money!!! Found it on the net.

INGREDIANTS

500 grams (1 pound) beef heart
350-500 grams (3/4-1 pound) chicken livers
1 can of shelled green peas
1 large carrot cooked until slightly tender and pureed
1 small packet of frozen spinach (150-200g) (drained of all excess liquid)
200 grams (1/2 pound) of prawns (without the shell)
1 cup of fish food pellets crushed (soak this in some warm water to blend easier)
5-8 cloves of peeled garlic, crushed and minced/pureed
2-3 packets of unflavoured gelatin to bind ( more may be used if a firmer consistency is required)
2-3 good quality multivitamin ground to powder

METHOD

Everything except the gelatin needs to be minced or put in the food processor and made into a mince-like consistancy. Do the meat separate and then cobine all in a mixing bowl. It's ok to blend all the veggies together. Once everything is blended up, combine it all in a bowl. add the crushed fish food. Dissolve the gelatin in a little water (as little as possible) then also add.
Mix thoroughly. Line a backing tray with backing paper. Spread the mix evenly on the trays at around1/4"(5mm) thickness. Place two layers of backing paper over the mix and keep repeating until the tray is full. Allow to set up in the refrigerator, when firm score with the back of a knife into equal serving size portio9ns. Freeze. Once frozen break portions up and store in a container in the freezer. DO NOT ADD CORN AS IT IS INDIGESTABLE TO FISH AND CAUSES PROBLEMS!!

Creator of recipe - Tony Snell

Angelika
ooooooooooh you are supposed to remove the skin from the peas... no wonder my fish won't eat them. I have cucumber in there right now, they don't seem to like that either .... watermelon for fish?

zeebo
HI Angelika,

yeah boil the peas till soft and have the skin removed.
I take the shortcut - I boil until most of the skin comes off and by which time, the peas are already soft. Then I mesh them up. My fishes are crazy over peas.

Some blanch their cucumber or microwave their cucumber for 10 seconds before adding to the tank. Some slice their cucumber thinly & use vege. clip while some cut up a portion of cucumber, tie to rock and drop into tank. Your preference really.

As for watermelon, don't know if momo9700 has tried it yet. If momo9700 did, do post and let us know how it went.

Thanks.

mrsmuffin
I am planning on trying to make my own food this weekend. Any input would be more than welcome! Here is what I am planning to use so far:

• Bag of salad shrimp
  • Garlic
  • Flake fish food
  • Some freeze dried brine shrimp that I find hard to feed because it seems to turn in to a powder when I put it in the water
  • Yellow squash (that I need to use for something before it ruins, and my pleco loves them, so won't everybody??)
  • Gelatin (how much? The box came with 4 packets. How much water should I put with it?)
  • Anything else you think I should add? More veggies? Peas? Lettuce? What?

My plan is to puree everything in the blender and mix together, then pour in to ziplock baggies and freeze flat - thin enough to break off when ready to feed.

Comments? Suggestions?

Devon
I would put some peas in!!

I should start making food for my fishes, too... it has to be way way better for them; but... then my boyfriend will have me committed for sure!!

mrsmuffin
Oh, I am sure that my hubby will think I am crazy...

Devon
Oh, I am sure that my hubby will think I am crazy...

Well if he gets annoyed, tell him that it's good for his blood pressure. That always gets a great response. ;D

Keep us posted on how the food-making goes... photos would be good! I'm trying to imagine what it will look like... eeew!

angelfish220
The other night the Family was out so I decided to try to make food. I took frozen peas and shrimp and fresh spinach and ground it all together, added garlic juice and vitachem, then added whole wheat-wheat germ to counteract the extra liquid, and froze it. it works pretty good.

I was thinking, and I know devon you probably know what I mean, would nutritional yeast be good for fish? (I figure you know what nutritional yeast is because of the vegan thread)

Devon
I was thinking, and I know devon you probably know what I mean, would nutritional yeast be good for fish? (I figure you know what nutritional yeast is because of the vegan thread)

Hmm... I actually have some nutritional yeast left over from some (AMAZING!!) vegan "mac & cheese" I made the other day... just Googled to see if it's good for fishes, I guess it's used in some fry foods, and they even sell it in flake form as a supplement of some kind. I haven't come across anything saying you shouldn't feed it to fish.

So, I dunno... why not!?

angelfish220
maybe I'll try that in my next batch. I was going to use it in place of the wheat germ but didnt want to end up killing my fish!

That would add some good protieny things too. Hmmmmmm...

Chief_waterchanger
Actually, activated yeast is what we feed to brine shrimp if/when we want adult brine shrimp of a week or two of size for some of the larger-than-baby fish.

The food I made included:

Spinach (half a bag, but the bag was about the size of an 8x11 sheet of paper, I think)
4 oz. Crab meat from a can
2 packets (about the size of a wallet-sized picture) unflavored gelatin
about 8 oz water
a whole frozen fish (tilapia in my case, but next time will use boneless fillets.. the bones that I didn't find to pull out didn't grind well)
1 medium zucchiniabout 30-40 malaysian trumpet snails (shells were for calcium, but the shells didn't grind completely for me.. so I may skip that next time)
about a palm full of duckweed (more plant matter there)
Salad shrimp, about half a bag.. maybe 4 oz?
2 large cloves of garlic that I had leftover (it was roasted, but left unused from a pasta dish, so it got frozen until I used it in this food)

(I think that is everything I put in it.)

I would use spinach rather than lettuce, mainly because lettuce is mostly water, whereas spinach is a healthy dark leafy green.

Slug
Actually, activated yeast is what we feed to brine shrimp if/when we want adult brine shrimp of a week or two of size for some of the larger-than-baby fish.

The food I made included:

Spinach (half a bag, but the bag was about the size of an 8x11 sheet of paper, I think)
4 oz. Crab meat from a can
2 packets (about the size of a wallet-sized picture) unflavored gelatin
about 8 oz water
a whole frozen fish (tilapia in my case, but next time will use boneless fillets.. the bones that I didn't find to pull out didn't grind well)
1 medium zucchiniabout 30-40 malaysian trumpet snails (shells were for calcium, but the shells didn't grind completely for me.. so I may skip that next time)
about a palm full of duckweed (more plant matter there)
Salad shrimp, about half a bag.. maybe 4 oz?
2 large cloves of garlic that I had leftover (it was roasted, but left unused from a pasta dish, so it got frozen until I used it in this food)

(I think that is everything I put in it.)

I would use spinach rather than lettuce, mainly because lettuce is mostly water, whereas spinach is a healthy dark leafy green.

Thanks! The family really enjoyed dinner tonight! Oh wait a second.....

I'm gonna try and make some discus food here soon, probably just going to be a mix of Beefheart, Shrimp, and Spinach. Might put a little NLS in there too.

mrsmuffin
Okay, I just got finished making it. Here is what I put in:

• 1 lb small cooked shrimp (without shells or tails)
  • 3 tbs minced garlic from a jar
  • 1/2 bag frozen peas
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 1-2 tbs Tetra Min tropical granuals "The Rich Mix"
  • 1/2 .6 oz jar freeze dried brine shrimp
  • 2 packets unflavored gelatin
  • 3/4 - 1 cup water (some used while blending everything up, some used to desolve the gelatin)

I put everything in the blender in small portions and pureed and then mixed together in a large mixing bowl.

I have to say that when I had the peas and squash in the blender, it looked just like baby food. I would say that is a good description of what the finished product looks like too.

I portioned it out in freezer bags and have it flat in the freezer at the moment. I will report back tomorrow and let you know what the fish think!

Slug
Just wondering why you cooked the shrimp? Doesn't all the good stuff leave with cooking?

Looking forward to the results.

mrsmuffin
Just wondering why you cooked the shrimp? Doesn't all the good stuff leave with cooking?

My inspiration for making the food was a bag of pre-cooked shrimp that was in my freezer and needed to be used for something...

Slug
My inspiration for making the food was a bag of pre-cooked shrimp that was in my freezer and needed to be used for something...

That works!

Charmaine
Hey Angelica.

How are you doing with your fish food??

momo9700
hey, sorry I wasn't on for awhile. never got the chance to try watermelon. I was going to give them some zuchinni, but my mom already threw out the extra slices . anyone know if raw garlic cloves are safe for them?

LilMollieBreeder
I personally love watermelon but I am a worried about feeding it to fish. I really don't think it is a good idea....tell me how it goes????

LilMollieBreeder
garlic clovers for fish

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Replies
Views
Isalie
Replies
Views
MacZ