Making Money Breeding Fish or Starting an Aquarium Store

Nikao

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI All,
Is it possible to make a living with aquariums??
Thanks.
Nick

Cgtoxic

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
search up Aquarium Coop on Youtube, he has done a feel videos about starting his fish store.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nikao said:
HI All,
Thanks.
Nick
Yes, I believe it is. Not to discourage you or anything though, it would be pretty hard. If you are talking about a living the only garunteed way(imo) is if you were running a large buisness. If you were just to open a shop, I'm afraid something like that won't work unless you have LOTS of customers and that usually isn't really the case.

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes it is easy to make a living breeding if u know the best selling fish to breed like peppermint bristle nose endler guppies and discus and flower horns and rainbows and common bristle nose

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might just be me but when someone asks can I make money selling fish I'm not talking about a few dollars here and there but making a living. So I will disagree with everyone above.
No your never going to make money as a hobbiyst breeding fish. You honestly will be lucky to break even.

Even if you sell rare fish your never going to sell the numbers involved to pay for your rent or mortgage,and or your water bill, and or electricity, let alone food and equipment.

There is more chance to make money sell plants then there is fish.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikao said:
HI All,
Thanks.
Nick
Short answer: NO. An acquaintance who spent 40 years of his life in the aquarium fish business, as a shop owner, breeder, importer, and even as a fish collector, once answered that question with the following statement: "The only way to make a small fortune in the tropical fish industry is to start with a large fortune."

To actually make money, you have to have something that other people want. Best way to get this is to import fish, which requires a lot of (expensive) permits, having overseas contacts, and a lot of tank space to hold fish when they come in. Also a high degree of knowledge about fish diseases and how to treat them. Most of the people I know who sell imported fish online are experienced aquarists with 15-20 years of being in it as a hobby before they even considered starting a business.

Some people can breed fish that will produce a lot of money. I've found that this is limited to Discus, rare Plecos, and a few other rare fish. Breeding Angelfish does not usually make money, as they are too available and relatively cheap at the wholesale level. You have to have an outlet for thousands of young for it to pay off. Some Tanganyikan Cichlids are worth a lot of money, but produce very few young. And often these young take forever to grow to a sellable size.

The most important thing to consider is the overhead costs to run any kind of operation. LFS has the highest amount of overhead for these things, but any sizeable operation will have considerable cost. If you think you're going to just run "a few" tanks and make a little money, believe me, you haven't actually calculated the cost:income ratio. At best you might reduce your expenses slightly.

Believe it or not, this is not intended to make you want to give up on fish keeping/breeding. But if you can't do it for the learning experience, or just the simple joy of accomplishment, don't expect profit to make it more interesting, as that may never come.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m with the no’s. The local fish store is becoming a thing of the past. Most now are pet stores. Their money comes from the dog and cat foods and equipment they sell. Anything sold in the fish area is a bonus. The big bonus is when fish keepers come and realize they can also get their dog and cat supplies. My guy had a 180g tank there for over 2 yrs and equipment didn’t move off the shelves because most buy online. It’s a tough business. Even discus bred at home by basement breeders don’t sell. The basement discus breeders are gone. Very few actually breed fish anymore. The wholesalers fish are much cheaper. Breeding fish is fun but a lot of work and no place to move them. You could end up with lots of fish that you just end up culling.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I too have to say no. Setting up a small shop of your own bred fish in your garage may make a little income since you already have the space and would take appointment only so you still worked and this would just be some extra spending money. The profit margin on selling fish is slI'm and the better the fish are kept the smaller the profit margin becomes.

OP
Nikao

Nikao

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with the no’s

I have found that I’ve already spent thousands of dollars in this hobby, but the sense of accomplishment and the satisfaction of art is invaluable.

I also have a bunch of little friends that I care about :)

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think with the right choices you could maybe set yourself up for a break even to where your breeding feeds the addiction lol. But probably won’t pay a lot of bills as everyone else stated.

Especially in the world we live in now. There are a lot of people that breed fish or raise plants that are huge social media influencers.Not that they don’t put out nice fish or plants but a lot of their business is built off their social media empire. So for someone just wanting to get into it, you really starting in a tough spot.

I have a LFS that prides itself working with local breeders and sources as much local plant and fish stock as they can. But for example they will have GORGEOUS angelfish stock that are often 3 for $8 These are typically pretty young and small but great from growing out.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikao said:
I agree with the no’s

I have found that I’ve already spent thousands of dollars in this hobby, but the sense of accomplishment and the satisfaction of art is invaluable.

I also have a bunch of little friends that I care about :)
As a hobby it is very rewarding. Addictive! But to try and make a profit it’s just to hard. It’s a shame too. Because most private breeders fish will be stronger than what the warehouses are sending. As a hobbyist your best bet is home bred fish. There are places to sell your fry. Like aquabid just don’t look to make money :).

New Threads