Making Goldfish Tank More Enriching

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by BettaBliss, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BettaBlissValued MemberMember

I have a comet goldfish in a 20 gallon long tank. I've had him for about 9 months and he is 3 inches long. I am fully aware that his tank is much too small but I didn't know that information when I won him at a party last year, but I am unable to upgrade because my parent won't allow me to purchase myself a larger tank for the fish. A pond is also not an option. I've been searching for someone with a pond to take him, but I haven't found anyone yet who can. For right now I really want to make his tank as enriching as possible. Should I add live plants or any decor, or should I remove the fake plants in there to give him more swimming room? Any suggestions on things I should add?
    This is what his tank looks like currently, except that airstone has been swapped out for a much larger one. 20170202_215901.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

maybe some caves/rocks for him to explore and swim through? I've also heard of people floating ping pong balls on the surface of the water to give their fish something to push around lol.

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Definitely add live plants. They will leave some of the tougher ones and will enjoy eating the less tough ones.

In one of my goldfish tanks I have a filter that creates a lot of water movement at the surface. About once a week a put a tablespoon of duckweed in. The flow pushes it around and the fish chase it to catch and eat the duckweed.

Try training your goldfish. Mine do simple tricks like swimming through hoops and pushing balls around. They also eat from my hand.

Maybe add a sand substrate? They like to root around in sand looking for food.

4. dcutl002Well Known MemberMember

Live plants that you can keep with Goldfish are Yellow water lily and Broadleaf Arrowhead. Goldfish do not like the taste of Yellow water lily and Broadleaf Arrowhead is a little tough for them to eat. But, by all means put some Duckweed in there for them to snack on...which they will.

5. VioletSSValued MemberMember

Mine spends a lot of time rooting around in her sand substrate. I included quite a few live plants too, and she enjoys swimming through them and nibbling them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice