Making driftwood out of apple tree branch... is this safe?

1. Daac Well Known Member Member

Ok, in the October snow/ice storm of this year that hit the east coast an apple tree in our yard lost a few pretty big branches. My friend and I have planned to make some nice pieces of driftwood out of it. We plan to tie them up in the Deleware river to soak them and help get the bark off. Will that work good and be ok in a fish tank after some cleaning? They are pretty big- one over 5 feet long. Also is apple tree and crab apple tree wood ok to use?

2. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you be sure there wasn't pesticide used in past?

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Both woods are ok for tank use.
    I have both woods in use in tanks here.

4. spdrbob Member Member

Snowtober was the worst , trick or treating in the snow ! But it did make for some good deadwood around.

5. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

haha Where I was living There was snow on my sister's birthday in October and none for my birthday in February!

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

well i would check local pollution and toxicity readings for your areas of the river to be sure.

7. Daac Well Known Member Member

Ok thanks everyone... yeah no pesticides and I'll look into the river. Yeah but I am a major skiier so I did not like this winter either... most people hate snow.. I love it and a winter with no snow for me is not a winter... it is just a depressing cold season where all the snow on the mountains is tiny ice pellets that hurts a lot to fall on.