Making Custom Decorations

1. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

still in progress. Cut up and hot glued two juice jugs together then coated it with patchcrete(similar to concrete). Still needs a bunch of layers of patchcrete.

Attached Files:

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Is that aquarium safe?

3. OP
    OP
    Bradley Moles

I was going to do some research and ask about that. I’m thinking it’s probably not but I could probably find aquarium safe paint and coat it thoroughly

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Yeah I think the hot glue is toxic if fully submerged. It can leach chemicals into your water. Unless you used a 100% silicone glue. The patchcrete is probably not safe either.

5. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

You could get aquarium safe epoxy and coat it like king of diy did to his 2000 gal concrete aquarium.

6. OP
    OP
    Bradley Moles

Good call, I did make a mistake with the hot glue, not sure what to do at this point, maybe coat it? Or just start over. I planned on coating the patchcrete(I moved to post hole cement for my top layer) somehow. Heard apoxy can get expensive, thought about a krylon fusion clear coat. I planned on submerging it and doing water changes every couple days before putting it in the tank though

7. OP
    OP
    Bradley Moles

Did more research and I think hot glue is aquarium safe, it was even suggested by the king of diy

8. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

There are a billion different brands of hot glue out there, but most videos I watched of DIY backdrops mentioned using hot glue at points in preference to silicone because of how quickly it dried, and I think most of the time it will be safe. Most of the issues seem to come in that it can be water-soluable, so if it is ALL that is holding things together, then you might be in trouble.
    I'm using some to attach sections of foam together before I cut and shape them. I think if it's covered by the patchcrete, you should be fine. I am doing a triple layer of Krylon paints, ending with a coat of semi-gloss, because I'm trying to replicate quartz-veins stone :p If hot glue leaks through that, I have bigger concerns :p