Making container ponds safe for jumpers?

Joshaeus

Hi everyone! How could I make a container pond safe for fish prone to jumping - the Betta dimidiata I am getting soon, for example? I would love to try growing out some of their fry outside next year in a heated container pond, but they - and MANY small fish, for that matter - are jumpers and I don't want them to go patio surfing. I also don't want to compromise my ability to fertilize and prune any plants in the same container pond. Thanks :)

BPSabelhaus

Tall container, filled partway with lily pads or other floaters? What kind of container are you thinking? Storage tote, or something more presentable?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have heard of people putting some kind of screen/netting over them too to keep other animals from eating the fish also. Like birds.

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

I have heard of people putting some kind of screen/netting over them too to keep other animals from eating the fish also. Like birds.
Yeah the community pond I help with has a PVC mesh covering and it works great! If the pond is roomy enough you could lower the waterline a little either. Floating plants also discourage jumping :)

Upvote 0

Joshaeus

Tall container, filled partway with lily pads or other floaters? What kind of container are you thinking? Storage tote, or something more presentable?
Yeah the community pond I help with has a PVC mesh covering and it works great! If the pond is roomy enough you could lower the waterline a little either. Floating plants also discourage jumping :)
All of those seem applicable. I currently have a 20 gallon, 26 by 15 inch high premade rigid liner.

Upvote 0

aquariumlovers

Tall container will do!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Joshaeus
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question