Making A Stocking Plan For 55gallon Long Tank?

Shadowplec6

Reaction score
I am planning on setting up a 55 gallon tropical community tank with a male Betta that I already have and I was thinking about adding 4-5 female Bettas to the stocking list, but I am skeptical about whether or not it would be a good idea but at the same time I have seen people have good luck with putting many Bettas together in the same tank but only in large well planted tanks which is what I am planning; so I would like to pick some brains before I make a decision and I have plenty of other tanks so if it doesn’t work out and I have to separate them I can. ?

SarahBear1009

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am planning on setting up a 55 gallon tropical community tank with a male Betta that I already have and I was thinking about adding 4-5 female Bettas to the stocking list, but I am skeptical about whether or not it would be a good idea but at the same time I have seen people have good luck with putting many Bettas together in the same tank but only in large well planted tanks which is what I am planning; so I would like to pick some brains before I make a decision and I have plenty of other tanks so if it doesn’t work out and I have to separate them I can. ?
People have had luck with a female Betta sorority, but not mixing in a male. I personally wouldn't do it, but hopefully someone who may have tried this exact thing can shed more light.
I have kept a male Betta in a community tank in my 55 gallon before (not with female Bettas), and he was perfectly fine. But he was a rather mellow Betta, and had no issues with other fish. I also made sure no other fish I added were fin nippers. This was a few years ago.
My Betta I have now I can't add to my 55 gallon community because he doesn't like the water current I have. So keep that in mind too. Longer finned Bettas can have a harder time swimming in stronger currents.

OP
Shadowplec6

Shadowplec6

Reaction score
Azul, my male Betta (half moon) will probably be the only one in tank, just to be safe and I’ll just setup a separate sorority tank for the girls. When I was 7 a fish store employee told me that I could keep male and female Bettas together and the male ended up tearing the female to shreds and I don’t want to relive that, the more I think about the risk the more I cringe. His picture is my profile photo!

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom