Making a sloped beach

wishuponafish

I'm making a beach tank with play sand for mudskippers and I'm worried that the sand will flatten out over time. Is there a good way to make a slope that keeps its shape?

Unknown9182

You could add an occasional pebble or so the the sand or you could make a barrier around it.

MacZ

I did some kind of bank in my tank too, and recently build a paludarium. Better use bigger rocks to build steps, otherwise the sandbank will likely flatten down more and more.

ForceTen

I have a wave maker that keeps a perfect beach.
Mine is very strong so I have to move it sometimes, but it will build a bank of sand overnight.

wishuponafish

Unknown9182 said:
You could add an occasional pebble or so the the sand or you could make a barrier around it.
MacZ said:
I did some kind of bank in my tank too, and recently build a paludarium. Better use bigger rocks to build steps, otherwise the sandbank will likely flatten down more and more.
I'll have some big rocks buried, but in the past I've still had to fix the slope every once in a while because my frog uncovered the rocks when it bounced around. Would a layer of 1/2" pea gravel under the sand help, or would it just get mixed into the sand eventually?

Fisch

wishuponafish said:
I'll have some big rocks buried, but in the past I've still had to fix the slope every once in a while because my frog uncovered the rocks when it bounced around. Would a layer of 1/2" pea gravel under the sand help, or would it just get mixed into the sand eventually?
I would say it will mix eventually. Maybe putting a plastic or acrylic divider into the tank, like a lawn edge. It can be hidden with some pebbles or rock.

veggieshark

Several acrylic dividers with increasing height from front to back seems like some people do to step up the sand.

Bellasmith

I also use wavemaker for my tank. This helps my fish feel like living in a natural habitat giving them delight and comfort.

Bellasmith

Bellasmith said:
I also use wavemaker for my tank. This helps my fish feel like living in a natural habitat giving them delight and comfort.
Hydor Koralia nano is my favorite . Lots of water movement for such a small impeller. Easy to adjust position and use, I just wish it had some way to control the speed.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom