Making A Plastic Brace Aquarium Look Like A Rimless Tank

1. BettaCrew

BettaCrew New Member Member

So I'm trying to cut costs by making a regular fish tank (with the top and bottom plastic braces encircling the tank) look like a rimless tank. My idea is to have a glass shop cut pieces of mirror glass the exact length and width and height of each piece of the black plastic bracing. Has anyone tried something like this before?

2. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

An easier and much cheaper way would probably be spray paint. Rustolium Metallic Silver is what I've used (not for this purpose but to the same effect) and I think there are higher-end paints out there.

I don't think the mirror shop gave you an estimate yet. When they do, you probably might as well look into buying a rimless tank for the same price.

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Also a lot of tanks with plastic trim it's just cosmetic. you may be able to remove it.

4. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

Can I remove the bracing with a 20 gallon? I don't want to compromise the sides. My biggest fear is coming back to the house with water on the floor broken glass and dead Critters.

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

7. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Looks nice, do your research on the $.

8. OP
    OP
    BettaCrew

Cost of the tank or needed supplies to complete the set up plus cost of the tank? How do I know I'm getting a good deal on a bare rimless?

9. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

I would suggest internet research, I have not priced one so do not know but like the looks of that one and it seems reasonably priced.