making a heavily planted tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by shadowfish, Aug 1, 2015.

1. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

ok so i want to make my ten gallon tank with sand into a heavily planted tank with some drift wood...

1.what plant types for a ten gallon that look nice and are easy to care for and dont need CO2?

2.can i use just sand and use furtilizer?

3.how do i clean and maintian a heavily planted tank from A-Z

4.tips

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

You can have a heavily planted tank without the use of co2. You can have low light plants, here is an article that should help for choosing plants https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/297-how-set-up-low-light-low-tech-planted-tank.html
    These plants don't require co2 at all. Yes you can grow the plants in sand and the use of a fertilizer. A good fertilizer that I would recommend is Seachem Flourish. For maintaining a planted tank it's pretty easy. Just doing regular water changes and trimming the plants when they get too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. shadowfishWell Known MemberMember

ok thanks anything else i should do or not do

4. BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

For fertilizers, some plants will need root tabs rather than liquid ferts, dpeending on the plants. some use nutrients from the water column while others get them from the roots. With sand, especially, any root feeders will need root tabs to do well. Peabodysparadise.com has root tabs for sale. Iver personally used them with great success, and they are also a forum sponsor. Great pricing, and an outstanding product.

Heres my review of them.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...-reviews/200367-peabodys-paradise-rutabs.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice