makeshift QT options

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by featherblue, Nov 28, 2012.

1. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

So I really don't want to ich vacuum around my plants ever again. Ive done mostly species tanks so I hadn't worried about a QT, only one critter type gotten at once so easy to treat individually. I didn't consider the danger and pain of the display side of these tanks and potential problems.
    what can I use as a makeshift QT in the future (community tank in the plans)? If I get a tank it ends up with something living in it. I had an extra 3g critter keeper, but it now houses my orange shrimp when my Betta hunted them. So I'm thinking makeshift container so I cant move something in.
    how could I clean/sterilize a tote of some sort? Any concerns over types of plastic? Ive got lots that haven't been used for more than fabric storage.
    I do have extra seeded sponge filter, heater, and airstone set for use when set up.

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You could use a rubbermaid bin, they do a good job. I've used everything from basic plastic totes to big utility tubs.

As for cleaning/sterilizing, drying it out is usually sufficient, but if you really wanted to be safe you could dip it in hot/boiling water or spray it down with rubbing alcohol or a 1:19 bleach mixture. Just remember to rinse well if you do and let it air dry before using.

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

A good solid rubber/plastic tub works - or wait until the $1.00 a gallon sale goes on at Petco and get yourself a 10 gallon.
    I use a 5 gallon and when the fish are done, I just throw the filters back in to my main tank until I need to use the QT tank again.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you have an infected fish in a tank, it's best to treat the whole tank. Ich is a parasite, and parasites form a symbiotic relationship with their host. A healthy fish can keep the infestation at bay, unseen. But when a fish is stressed, it loses the upperhand and the parasite starts to spread. That's why you can buy seemingly healthy fish in the store, bring them home and then they have ich - the stress of being bought triggered the spread.

Whether or not you have a species tank has nothing to do with quarantining. It's ALWAYS best to quarantine. Unless you meant a specimen tank, which you would not need to quarantine.

5. MrTropics

MrTropics Valued Member Member

petsmart has a 10 gallon tank for about 11 bucks right now, might only be at my local store but you could probably check out their website. Either that or maybe a 5 gallon bucket, a lot of people have those lying around. Just make sure to rinse it well.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

agreed, a 5 gallon bucket with a sponge filter is all you really need for small fish. However, its not so easy to watch the fish and examine them since you can only view them from the top.

7. OP
    OP
    f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

I think ill keep a rubbermade fish friendly, if I get a 10g ill end up moving someone else in (already happened twice :))

@jaysee I'm trying yo avoid the problem I have now happening again. Would rather have had this isoloated if if thought it thru better

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice