Make this bottom shelf able to hold a 10 gallon?

• Thread starter aquachris
  • Start date

aquachris

In an effort to continue to fuel my aquarium and fish addiction, I'm wondering how I could put a 10gallon below in this stand. It definitely has the clearance/etc, but the concern is it only has the two cross bars.... the stand currently holds a 29 gallon.

29gstand.png

The measurements inside the cross member (bar to bar) is 10.5", so 10" clearing is easy for a 10gallon on width. I guess I could try to build something to elevate it?

Thoughts? Ideas?

AquEric

The thing to think about is the wight of a 10g tank freshwater weight is 8.3 pounds per gallon so a setup 10g is around 90 to 100 pounds with gravel and all

ghostdawg

Well Known
Maybe 4 cinder blocks (2 on each side) and 3/4" plywood cut to size? There are some threads around discussing using it, as standalone stand.

BobbyGregg

as a carpenter use 5/8 plywood and cut to shape 100lsb is nothing to 5/8 plywood, your floor is 5/8 plywood

aquachris

ghostdawg said:
Maybe 4 cinder blocks (2 on each side) and 3/4" plywood cut to size? There are some threads around discussing using it, as standalone stand.
That's definitely an idea that I could make work.

BobbyGregg said:
as a carpenter use 5/8 plywood and cut to shape 100lsb is nothing to 5/8 plywood, your floor is 5/8 plywood
This is true with the beams under. Are you saying supported by the cross bars at the bottom only would be enough you think? But yeah we only need 100lbs..

BobbyGregg

yes bottom is good or get small blocks of wood and make another shelf making sure to use construction screws as they support 350lbs alone

aquachris

BobbyGregg said:
yes bottom is good or get small blocks of wood and make another shelf making sure to use construction screws as they support 350lbs alone
Yeah was thinking that. The 10 would fit in the area below without touching anything so maybe I can just make a short mini stand and put it in lol.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
The 5/8" plywood would be fine, but you need something to support it, and just screws won't be enough. You need some solid support under it, ideally going all the way to the floor. I'd suggest cutting some 1x2's to use as legs and a frame under the new shelf.

By the way, you didn't ask, but looking at that 6-way box below the tank makes me nervous. Please elevate it off the floor, and lay it on it's side instead of back so the cords are coming out the side instead of the top. Even better, it probably has holes in the back so you can mount it to the wall or inside the stand. Do that. You really don't want water to spill into it.

aquachris

JettsPapa said:
The 5/8" plywood would be fine, but you need something to support it, and just screws won't be enough. You need some solid support under it, ideally going all the way to the floor. I'd suggest cutting some 1x2's to use as legs and a frame under the new shelf.

By the way, you didn't ask, but looking at that 6-way box below the tank makes me nervous. Please elevate it off the floor, and lay it on it's side instead of back so the cords are coming out the side instead of the top. Even better, it probably has holes in the back so you can mount it to the wall or inside the stand. Do that. You really don't want water to spill into it.
Yeah I was thinking about making it more of a stand that sits under it, with the legs supporting it (probably not even use the metal stand, but just have this free floating inside it).

I'm going to be swapping out that strip, I just am getting things setup, and making sure everything is exactly where I want it and then size accordingly. Either I'll get one that goes on the outlet (which this is a line behind a GFCI outlet anyhow) or I'll anchor a bigger one to the wall.

Top Bottom