Make them pets!!

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know there are snail lovers on fishlore. This a a petition to make Giant African Land snails as legal pets in the USA.

GALs are the largest species of land snails and are extremely popular pets in Britain and some other countries, but are illegal in the states. This is a petition to make them legal.

sleepycloud

Reaction score
Giant African Land Snails Are Illegal and Not Good as Pets

There's probably a good reason as to why they are banned :/

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Invasive species. So is the common house sparrow and starling in the us. I've stopped feeding seed eating native species of birds because of the common house sparrow. The native species are often too shy to approach the feeders. GALs are fine in their native environment.

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I highly disagree with the statement that they're not good pets. They're highly personable, adapt extremely well, have great personalities, and are honestly pretty simple to take care of.

I do however agree that there is good reason as to why they're illegal. In south America and even in Florida there have been outbreaks of GALS that have pushed native wildlife out and caused a whole lot of problems. In south America there is another giant snail that is now endangered because GALS were introduced. The reason it's ok in Britain for them to be kept is because the environment isn't suited for them and they would have a much harder time surviving if they got out or were released.

I personally live in Canada where it is also illegal to own them. I know it is possible to get them here and in the States if you're willing to break a couple laws. I have wanted one for nearly half a decade and eventually plan to move to somewhere where I can legally own them. Until then I've been keeping garden snails- specifically grove snails. Which actually also are an invasive species in my area but can be readily found outside.

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
While I think they do look like really fun pets, if they are invasive maybe not the best idea to make it legal. There are a lot of irresponsible people who don't truly understand how harmful an invasive species is. Not saying that LittleBlueGuppy you are one of those people :)! Just saying that we don't want those kind of people to get their hands on invasive animals and then potentiality release them into the wild.

OP
Frisbee

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
sleepycloud said:
Giant African Land Snails Are Illegal and Not Good as Pets

There's probably a good reason as to why they are banned :/
juniperlea said:
Invasive species. So is the common house sparrow and starling in the us. I've stopped feeding seed eating native species of birds because of the common house sparrow. The native species are often too shy to approach the feeders. GALs are fine in their native environment.
Snails are extremely social! They make great pets and do adapt well to living with people. Most of the stuff about them being bad pets is not true.

like many places, I think that they should be legal, but if they are released, you should be fined. I also think it’s stupid they are illegal in the whole USA because they would literally die if you release one here in Oregon. And plus, we have an overpopulation of feral cats, but nobody is banning cats (for good reason).

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
But, by the time someone tracks down and fines the original owner of the GAL, it's too late. re cats... they're only a problem because humans don't neuter/spay. GALs are hermaphrodites and like humans, all creatures can adapt to unfamiliar environments.

MissPanda

Well Known
Reaction score
Salem said:
I highly disagree with the statement that they're not good pets. They're highly personable, adapt extremely well, have great personalities, and are honestly pretty simple to take care of.

I do however agree that there is good reason as to why they're illegal. In south America and even in Florida there have been outbreaks of GALS that have pushed native wildlife out and caused a whole lot of problems. In south America there is another giant snail that is now endangered because GALS were introduced. The reason it's ok in Britain for them to be kept is because the environment isn't suited for them and they would have a much harder time surviving if they got out or were released.

I personally live in Canada where it is also illegal to own them. I know it is possible to get them here and in the States if you're willing to break a couple laws. I have wanted one for nearly half a decade and eventually plan to move to somewhere where I can legally own them. Until then I've been keeping garden snails- specifically grove snails. Which actually also are an invasive species in my area but can be readily found outside.
Why are they banned in canada when it gets -40 here? I could see a provincial ban on the coast, but darn no snail going to survive alberta winters.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
It's not because they can't survive Alberta winters. It's that they can survive being intentionally or unintentionally carried to warmer climes. It's not the snail. It's the human. :D

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MissPanda said:
Why are they banned in canada when it gets -40 here? I could see a provincial ban on the coast, but **** no snail going to survive alberta winters.
They may not be able to survive the cold of Alberta but they can certainly survive the weather of the west coast or southern Ontario.

sleepycloud

Reaction score
LittleBlueGuppy said:
Snails are extremely social! They make great pets and do adapt well to living with people. Most of the stuff about them being bad pets is not true.

like many places, I think that they should be legal, but if they are released, you should be fined. I also think it’s stupid they are illegal in the whole USA because they would literally die if you release one here in Oregon. And plus, we have an overpopulation of feral cats, but nobody is banning cats (for good reason).
According to the original site I posted:
"Two snails are still needed for breeding, but they are very prolific breeders. A fulica can reportedly lay 1,200 viable eggs per year, with several hundred eggs in a single clutch."

-- that's a lot more than a cat can produce per year, I should say.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Id love one. In canada here.

BUT. Ive seen too many ignorant people. And too much of my local ecosystems are sensitive and endangered due to invasives. Some cannot be removed now.

It sucks, because responsible people are missing out, but its for the good of a whole.

My local lakes have been destroyed by zebra mussels, asian grass carp, and all sorts of others. Sea lamprey is another. Bird life is affected by the European starling and house sparrow. Feral cats are a huge problem as well. Not to mention invasive plants too.

Snails can and do survive the southern ontario winters here. Where do you think I got my trapdoor snail? Locally in the ponds. Same with some of my original ramshorns and bladder snails. They infest our waterways here. They simply hibernate underground for the winter.

Id be over the moon with such a cool snail, I love them, but I do have to agree with it staying illegal for good cause.

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
I wish. But we can't even trust people to not release unwanted pets in the wild. No matter how many times people will tell them not to. -.- unless they squish the eggs but that's sads :/
My dad hates snails. I can only imagine what he'd do if I brought home something bigger than a mystery snail. IF PEOPLE WOULD DO THEIR RESEARCH WE WOULDN'T HAVE A LAW AGAINST An adorable little snail. @:" <- that's supposed to be a snail. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Imagine an army of snails lol

Sien

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MissNoodle said:
Id love one. In canada here.

BUT. Ive seen too many ignorant people. And too much of my local ecosystems are sensitive and endangered due to invasives. Some cannot be removed now.

It sucks, because responsible people are missing out, but its for the good of a whole.

My local lakes have been destroyed by zebra mussels, asian grass carp, and all sorts of others. Sea lamprey is another. Bird life is affected by the European starling and house sparrow. Feral cats are a huge problem as well. Not to mention invasive plants too.

Snails can and do survive the southern ontario winters here. Where do you think I got my trapdoor snail? Locally in the ponds. Same with some of my original ramshorns and bladder snails. They infest our waterways here. They simply hibernate underground for the winter.

Id be over the moon with such a cool snail, I love them, but I do have to agree with it staying illegal for good cause.
Great points here. Irresponsible people have ruined some of this for the rest of us, but it is better than our ecosystems being destroyed. The more ecosystems that are destroyed, the more at risk everyone is.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
And thing with invasives, we don't always know it is a problem until its too late. I'm sure back when starlings and house sparrows were brought to north america, people thought they were cute and it was probably a fun experience at first, but I'm sure none of them could see into the future at the whole havoc theyve created now.

So because invasive creatures are unpredictable, laws are put into place to prevent more problems, especially if a creature has been proven a problem elsewhere.

OP
Frisbee

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It is sad. What about a permit to own GALS, would that work? Then only people who have researched the laws and are dedicated to what they are doing could have them.

BReefer97

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The African land snail is one of the most invasive pests there are. And I only say “pest” because that’s what an invasive specie is. There are other invasive snails but this one is particularly dangerous to the environment because of its size and the amount of eggs they lay. In places like Florida they have no natural predators and they can live up to 9 years. They’re known to eat 500 different species of plant (including agricultural) and they even eat the plaster off of homes to supplement calcium for their shells. They were a massive problem in Florida in the 60s, it took 9 years and $1 million to TRY and eradicate them... but they showed back up in MiamI in 2015. They cause more harm than good. If every person out there could be responsible I would sign the petition, but I’m not because I honestly think it’s foolish and dangerous.

OP
Frisbee

Frisbee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BReefer97 said:
The African land snail is one of the most invasive pests there are. And I only say “pest” because that’s what an invasive specie is. There are other invasive snails but this one is particularly dangerous to the environment because of its size and the amount of eggs they lay. In places like Florida they have no natural predators and they can live up to 9 years. They’re known to eat 500 different species of plant (including agricultural) and they even eat the plaster off of homes to supplement calcium for their shells. They were a massive problem in Florida in the 60s, it took 9 years and $1 million to TRY and eradicate them... but they showed back up in MiamI in 2015. They cause more harm than good. If every person out there could be responsible I would sign the petition, but I’m not because I honestly think it’s foolish and dangerous.
Yes, I see that they are dangerous. I don’t really understand why they are illegal in cold climates though. It seems like they should only be illegal in places like Florida where they can thrive. Here in Oregon, a Giant African land snail would die really really fast if you let it outdoors.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
LittleBlueGuppy said:
Yes, I see that they are dangerous. I don’t really understand why they are illegal in cold climates though. It seems like they should only be illegal in places like Florida where they can thrive. Here in Oregon, a Giant African land snail would die really really fast if you let it outdoors.
It's because someone in Oregon might decide to move to Florida or CA etc and bring the snail with them. It's too risky, because as we all know, not all pet parents (and human parents!) are very responsible. That's my thought, anyway.

New Threads