Make Best Betta Habitat With Only 2.5 Gallons

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by EarlGrey21, Apr 23, 2017.

1. EarlGrey21New MemberMember

Hi!
    This fall, I am going to move to a college campus that does not permit pets unless they are confined to a 1-gallon tank. I want a betta fish, and I've decided to go ahead and buy a 2.5-gallon tank and pray no one notices the size difference. What is the best possible tank to buy for the betta? Should I add plants or snails to the tank?
    As a complete beginner, I am grateful for any advice to ensure my fish has the most fulfilling life possible.

-EarlGrey21

2. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore!

You want a longer tank rather than tall so he/she has more room to swim. A 5 gallon+ would be best but I completely understand your situation.

Adding plants is great. Java moss is a really easy to grow. They also appreciate floating plants so duckweed or salvinia is good. Live plants help with water quality, won't damage your bettas fins and will give him/her some hiding places.

A nerite snail would be good. Wait until the tank is well established so there is some algae for it.

I recommend feeding him/her frozen or freeze dried foods along with good quality pellets. I feed my betta frozen bloodworms, frozen and live daphnia and freeze dried tubifex along with pellets.

They really like tannins in their water so adding an indian almond leaf or driftwood that releases tannins to their tank is a good idea.

3. BettaBlissValued MemberMember

Since you want a 2.5 gallon, I would suggest purchasing a 2.5 gallon with the most floor space. For example: a 2.5 gallon tank like the open Aqueon 2.5 (sold for about $13 at Petco) has more floor space than a cube style or tall 2.5 gallon tank. You'll want a heater that is appropriate for a tank that size. Bettas thrive in waters 78°-80° F.
    I agree that live plants would be great! I personally like Anacharis, Anubias, and Brazillian pennywort, but it's up to you!
    I would suggest a sponge filter for a tank that size. Sponge filters are affordable and don't produce a fast current.
    I agree with BottomDweller, a large variety of foods is so great! :) When it comes to pellets I recommend Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets or New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. My betta enjoys pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen brine shrimp.
    It would be fine to add a snail, just make sure your betta doesn't pick on the snail.:)
    If you do end up getting live plants, Finnex makes a good quality clip led lamp for small tanks that I would recommend.
    Have fun with your betta tank!:)

4. FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Hey! One of my favorite plants for my Betta aquariums is Pothos Ivy! :) All of my Betta absolutely love them. Also, Recently watched a video on them, think you may like( I send it later on a PM to you)

5. SenValued MemberMember

I can't really speak from experience regarding snails, but given how often I do water changes for both of my 2.5 g tanks (I've no space or sturdy furniture for anything bigger, sadly) I'd say to keep it simple, go without the snails until you've gotten the hang of maintaining a tank.

Regarding plants--yes! Bettas love plants. I personally have an amazon sword, anubias, microanubias, and betta bulbs/aponogetons. The betta bulbs are kind of luck-of-the-draw; I've heard some people say that theirs never sprouted. I bought one of the pretty-cheap sets of 3 and all of them are growing like mad (one even sprouted flowers). The trick might be to just set them on top of the substrate rather than burying them. The amazon sword and anubias I had to trim a little since some leaves got mushy brown when I first set up the tank.

20170325_173855.jpg This is the setup I had for one tank before I tried the betta bulbs. I have some spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum) arranged around the top of the tank with thread and tape (they're not aquatic plants so they can't be submerged, but they grow really well in water and my crowntail loves to wiggle around and lay down in the roots).

You can also tape some fake leaves or other flat decorations to the outside of the tank to keep things cozy and give the bettas a sense of shelter!

20170323_144725.jpg I do recommend having at least one (betta safe! No sharp edges!) decoration in the tank that your betta can hide and/or rest in. It'll also make it easier on you because it's a lot easier to clean a nonliving decoration than a live plant.

If you find a well-priced decoration you really like but it won't fit in the tank--all is not lost! Just put it outside the tank and change its placement from time to time--bettas are really smart and they can get bored easily, so having something for your betta buddy to look at can be pretty important. Changing the location keeps them interested, and having the decoration/plant outside the tank means you don't have to clean it as often. :p

Sorry for the long post; I hope this information is useful for you! Best of luck with the 2.5 g. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice