Make an online auction template?

1. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I'm taking the first step in starting up my own fish breeding business by starting to sell online. I've already sold a few things on aquabid.

Now I want to make my auctions look more attractive. I see auction all the time with nice backgrounds and picture placement and other nice looking things, but I have no clue how to do that.

I consider myself pretty computer savvy, but when it comes to HTML, I'm a total idiot. haha.

If there's anyone on here that knows anything about HTML and making a template, I'd love to here from you!

P.S. I'm trying to think of a name for this "business" and I'm completely stumped. Suggestions?

2. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Aqua Palace Online. You are welcome. :D I'm pretty sure the Colorful "templates" on aquabid are just .jpg's

Edit: never mind, aqua palace is taken :(

3. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Oh my gosh... I didn't even think of making it and saving it as a .jpg!

Thanks!

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

HTML code is actually very easy once you get the basics down. First thing you really need to do thou is get an HTML editor for that. I highly recommend Macromedia Dreamweaver.

As for web domains there are plenty out there that have cheap options but most times you have to deal with their templates.

sunburyaquatics.com could be a cool name and there is currently no one with that domain registered.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Dreamweaver is super easy to use but is not cheap.

Make the basic template without he fish picture. A lot of the places have all of their policies and what not. Get all that down and save it. Then all you need to do is add the fish and price.

6. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys.

I like Sunbury Aquatics, but I definitely don't plan on staying here once I get out of college. The town is getting worse and worse, but I sill may use that name since it's my hometown.

I didn't really think about an actual domain. That would be really cool, but I don't think any of the free ones are really that functional.

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

well I wouldn't go after a free one but one that is only a few bucks a month should be a place to start. When you get more serious about breeding fish and really get into it you will need your own fully controllable space.

Also consider you might be able to Barter some fish for some HTML work.

8. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Once I get some stead income, I'll probably make a website up.

That is what got me thinking about this whole idea. haha

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

depending on where you want to go and how soon I would toss up a post on the B/S/T forum and see what happens.

10. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I'm not near ready for anything like that quite yet.

I just finished up a template for aquabid, but I may have made a boo-boo. I make it up on Microsoft Word, which was dumb to begin with, and now I can't save it as a jpg.

11. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Can you save it as a gif?

12. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

.jpg, .bpm, .gif, try a few, if you get find anything that MS Paint will open then you will be all set.

I would check for you but I'm on a MAC lol.

13. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I will only let me save it as text files (txt, docx, and pdf). I guess I'll just have to remake it in MS paint.

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

do you have office or just word?

If you have office see if you can save it into something that power point can open and then save as a JPG.

15. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I have office so I'll try that.

16. fbn Well Known Member Member

Sunubry Aquatics. Ha, not buying from you with that name! Hahaha just kidding.

You may want to incorporate your favorite fish specie in to the name. My username stands for "fire belly newt", which was an animal I really liked at the time.

OHHHH. How about something like.... Dog-Aqua since you like dogs so much ;). Hahaha.

Personally, I like your aquapa, but I'd change it to AquaPA. That way more people may realize you mean Pennsylvania and not Grandpa. :)

17. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I don't think anyone that's ever heard of sunbury will come there. lol

The aquapa was supposed to be AquaPA, but it didn't show up with the capital letters for some reason.

18. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I don't use Microsoft Office so I can't help ya either :D Open Office FTW

19. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Well I've been working on this for a good portion of the day so far. It's not the best looking thing ever, but it's a lot better than plain, boring, aquabid defaults.

I made it in photoshop. The only problem I had with it is that I couldn't get big enough for aquabid. I set the size to 8in wide X 20in long in photoshop, but it's not near that size. Here's the link to it.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwlivebearers&1333298419

20. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I think font size could be a little bigger, other than that it looks really good! well done!!