Majorly preg or balloon molly?

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got this female black molly about 5 days ago and asked for a pregnant one. She tummy is so huge and tight it looks like she might burst. So far no babies and no sign of labor.

Could she be a balloon molly who got mixed with the regular mollies? Then again I wasn't paying much attention to which fish tank he was catching from but I'm pretty sure it was the higher up one with the regular mollies.

Attachments

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
She looks pregnant to me. Balloon mollies look much more like they've swallowed a marble IMO, they also seem to be more compact nose-to-tail like someone smushed them.

She may not give birth right away, they can hold their fry until they feel safe and since she's in a new home I don't venture she feels too safe just yet. Do you have a breeder net or box? You'll need one if you want to keep more than just a handful of lucky fry.

-Lisa

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck! You'll need to keep a close eye on her so you don't miss her giving birth because mollies seem to be particularly ruthless when it comes to eating their fry.

Do you have somewhere to keep the fry once they're born? Like a second tank?

-Lisa

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I do have a second tank! Can't wait to have little black mollies swimming around. I already have silver fry and dalmation fry.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome! I love when people plan ahead. I didn't because I didn't know my platy was even pregnant because she didn't look it at all. And I've got two mystery black Molly fry from I don't know who because I returned the one Molly that was pregnant and no one else looks it at all.

-Lisa

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads