Major Fin Rot Betta Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cat1212, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Cat1212

Cat1212 New Member Member

I have a betta fish. It's been about 3 months.. He had fin rot a while ago and I thought it had been healed as I treated it.
    I have just finished the 10 day Saltwater treatment for moderate fin rot as I didn't want to shock him. I don't feel like it is improving at all apart from the slight black patch he had before on his bottom fin.. Which seems to have gone white or close to it again.

I am wondering if I can up the dose of the salt treatment and start it again. I have read posts saying you shouldn't dose again and to wait. Can someone help me? I am trying to steer clear of unnatural treatments

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Cat1212

Also wanted to add...hes eating fine and very active still :)

3. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

The white between ribs of fin look like new fin growth to me. Black or red on the ends are the ones to worry over.

4. phantom

phantom Valued Member Member

I hope it gets better :)

5. Abby565

Abby565 Valued Member Member

It doesn't look that bad actually. I wouldn't treat with salt, it is irritating to bettas. I would just do lots of water changes, daily if you can.
    What size tank is he in, how strong is the filtration, and is there any remotely sharp decorations or plants in there?

6. OP
    OP
    Cat1212

He is in a 10Litre tank... And there is a betta leaf, and some fake plants.. They are soft on the edges though, the bases are probably not the softest either... . The betta leaf doesn't have the softest edge... Nor does the tunnel but he really likes the tunnel.. I want to keep him entertained and I'm not sure how else to do that than regular ornament changes... Which I find most are not very soft on the edges... Any ideas for what I could do?

I am not 100% sure of the filtration but I am very sure it's for a 10litre tank :) i also have the filter on the slowest because I found he was unsettled when the pressure was higher

7. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Giving your betta salt bath is one of the worst things you can do for the betta. It helps the fin rot, but hurts your betta. Only as a last resort would i ever even think of doing a salt dip where you put the fish in saltwater for 3 minutes. Bettas do not have a high tolerbility to salt and it is a myth that many believe adding salt the aquarium will help your betta. Get some marcyrn 2, which is a very effective medicine for fin rot. Also add in some indian almond leaves if you have them available. I would also add garlic to his diet since this will boost his immune system.

8. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

I wouldn’t use any medicine. Water quality is the beat treatment if you are convinced it is fin rot—water changes. As for things to put in his tank, what about swap out a plastic plant for a moss ball? Mine interacts with it (lies on it, pushes on it)

9. OP
    OP
    Cat1212

I will try that, are live plants a good option too?

10. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

live plants definitely are the best option. Silk aren't bad but you have to be very picky with plastic ones. If his tunnel has rough edges a little sand paper usually will fix it right up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice