major ammonia 5 Gallon Tank 

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wrote before that my 5 gallon tank had high ammonia. I did a 90% water change. I have done water changes everyday. The tank has been running a month and ammonia spiked in the second week. But now when i tested the water with the liquid test kit it turned dark blue. Uh something isnt right. Could it have stalled out and now be cycling again. I have 2 mollies in there and no where else to put them. Im waiting on my 29 gallon to cycle so they will have a bigger home. I am using prime and ammo lock.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How are you cycling the 29? And have you tested your tap water?

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didnt know about cycling when i started the 5 gallon but i just have my 2 mollies in there. yes i tested the water with the liquid test kit. The 29 gallon is being cycled with a piece of fish.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What method are you using to cycle the 29?

And did you test the water from your tap? I'm wondering if there isn't a spike going on in the water source.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Fishless in 29. put a piece of lobster in a stocking. the tap water was tested as well. wasnt much ammonia in it.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If your 5 isn't cycled, and neither is the 29, I'd personally go ahead and just put the mollies in the 29. A fish-in cycle, either way, and at least that way the mollies have more space.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The ammonia is 8.0ppm in 29 and i'm waiting for it to go down and then i was gonna add another piece of lobster. just took lobster out 30 mins ago. its ok to do it that way right.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so should i put them in the big tank or no. and thank you for helping me. this can get very frustrating. lol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, it can be very frustrating.

I can only tell you what I would do, which is a 100% water change in the 29 gallon, run both filters on it, and add the mollies. I'd use the Prime, but not the ammo-lock, and I'd do daily water changes without adding more fish. Then when the tank is cycled, you have 2 seeded filters.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally, I wouldn't. It's just my opinion that if your fish are being exposed to a fishless cycle anyway, then why not at least let them have some space? But others would probably disagree.

What do you want to do? We can talk about pros and cons, if you want to tell which way you are leaning.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well i would like to see them in the bigger tank. cause i still need to cycle the 5 gallon for 2 baby mollies anyway. do you think i could do a 50% water chang in the 29 instead of 100. i see where your comen from there exposed to bad water either way.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No, I think you need to do the 100% water change. You have an enormous amount of ammonia in there right now, and there is no benefit to keeping the water in. The beneficial bacteria is not free-floating.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Meenu 100%. Run both filters on the 29 gallon, then move the smaller filter back to the 5 gallon when it's cycled. It makes no sense to subject the mollies to very cramped conditions *and* ammonia/nitrite poisoning, being stuck in the 5 gallon will just make the stress of the poisoning much worse. Do a 90-100% water change in your 29 gallon and move the mollies. I have three mollies and I can't imagine them in anything smaller than the 20 gallon, especially if they're regular mollies and not balloons.

-Lisa

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok i'll do it. thanks for the info. there going to love that 29 gallon.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great advice above. I agree a 100% water change is needed before you move the mollies.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads