Important major ammonia problem cant get rid

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok i sadly lost my betta the other day which really upset me and i am totally gutted.

ever since ive had nothing but 8.0+ readings of ammonia despite my every effort to reduce it.
i have completed a 25% water change the day after i first put the remover in as it didnt budge from its high reading. i then monitored it and retreated after a few hours but still to no avail the following morning.
i left it the following day as i was allowing the remover to go to work but on testing it again yesterday it was still really high through the roof.
i decided at this point to remove all my plastic plants and bogwood and any ornaments into my qt tank and done a meticulus 50% water change. on completion of this i then readded the correct ammount of water with which again i added remover with its extra pint of water, also added a bacto capsule to the filter as the nitrate was at 5.0 and i guessed the cycle was out of cinc slightly.
i gave it a chance to blend with the tank and the filter to pump it all around but on testing it 10 mins ago the reading is still through the roof and just not coming down.
the only thing i havent removed is my live plant so im not sure if that is giving me a problem....

currently in my tank is:

1 black ghost knife fish
1 albino cory
1 upside down catfish
5 neon tetras

i also have 2 ornaments one of which is an air pump
4 plastic plants
1 medium bogwood
and one live plant which has rooted itself into my gravel

my filter is a tetratec easycrystal 250/300 BUT i dont have the carbon media in it i have a none carbon media in there which has been working fine....

i hope i have provided enough information to answer most of your questions which in turn im hoping will help with a more speedier solution to this very distressing problem of mine

thanks in advance

daz

Last edited:

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
8 ? Wow. Anything more than 1 is potentially fatal.

Firstly, I doubt that the tank is cycled.

Usually a 50% daily water change is recommended, but given that your water is very poisionous, I think its best to go buy some ammonia-removing product until it reaches a safe level, THEN start with the daily water changes. I can't tell you of anything since I've never used it myself, but maybe someone could suggest a product.

You don't need activated carbon, it won't do anything to reduce the ammonia levels.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ok then you need to do a much larger water change about 75% ASAP with your ammonia that high! 25% isn't gonna do you any good. Get a bottle of Prime, it will detox the ammonia for 24 hrs as well as nitrite and nitrate. Also removes chlorine etc from tap water.

Last edited:
OP
A

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
your right - further tests show that the tank isnt cycled!!!

just done all my tests with liquid kit

ammoni - 8.0 way high
ph - 6.0 should be 7.6
no3 - 5.0 should be 0
no2 - 0.25 should be 0

i have an ammonia remover and i have been adding it - i used to use it b4 and it worked gr8 but now its just not budging. i dont have enough room in my qt tank for all of em and im worried its the beggining of the end

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The low pH is weird, ammonia is basic, so if anything your pH should have increased.

What ammonia remover were you using?

Plants don't usually mind the extra ammonia, so you should leave it there I think, it'll help a bit as well

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
With the lower pH your 8ppm of ammonia is not in the toxic range. But you still need to do water changes with Prime. How are your fish doing? What is the pH reading when It comes out of the tap?

Last edited:
OP
A

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
out of the tap im not sure - give me 10 and ill let you know.....

im using interpet ammonia remover which ive always used but im not sure if i can get prime where i normally go but i have found a much better tropical shop recently so ill have to check it out tomoz after work......

my fish are doing what they normally do to be honest - no changes in behaviour or feeding habits

which is what im struggling to figure out

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So thats 15g.. That's alot of fish for a tank that size. Could that be keeping the ammonia so high?
I would suggest dividing the fish between the two tanks. Lowering the bioload will help lower the ammonia levels.
The plant will actually help.
Carol

OP
A

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
im not sure butterfly as ive kept the same ammount of fish in it really for months and months with no problems at all

since midnight passed (betta) it has started

could his passing have left anything in the tank?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
im not sure butterfly as ive kept the same ammount of fish in it really for months and months with no problems at all

since midnight passed (betta) it has started

could his passing have left anything in the tank?
Your aquarium information says it's been running 4 weeks, and your stats show it's not cycled yet is why I assumed the bioload might need to be lightened by dividing them. After this is resolved you might want to see about gtting a larger tank as that is still a lot of fish for that size tank. But.. lets work on this problem first
Carol

Llama

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Unless you left him to rot in the tank for a day or so, not really.

If you left it to rot in there, it might have decomposed into ammonia

OP
A

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yup yup lol

i havent updated the info on my profile sry
tank been set and cycled for over 6 months

where do u suggest i start???? some1 mentioned 75% water change but saying that i performed a 50% water change yesterday

OP
A

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Unless you left him to rot in the tank for a day or so, not really.

If you left it to rot in there, it might have decomposed into ammonia
no i work 6am till 2pm and he was swimming at 530am when i left but rooted to the base of my plant when i came home and i removed him str8 away

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yup yup lol

i havent updated the info on my profile sry
tank been set and cycled for over 6 months
AHHH... I see I thought I had missed something somewhere.

where do u suggest i start???? some1 mentioned 75% water change but saying that i performed a 50% water change yesterday
Something has caused your cycle to crash. Has the filter media been changed recently? How is the media cleaned. When were the last fish added? ANYTHING different (doesn't matter how small) happened besides loosing the Betta? Sorry for all the questions but it will help us help you.
I personally would continue to do 50% daily water changes and add more plants if possible. Check ammonia daily before water changes.
What are you testing with (I'm sure you have already said. Some testing supplies react negatively with ammonia removers and other chemicals. I would suggest not using the ammonia remover (unless it's Prime) and depend on water changes to lower it.
Carol

OP
A

angelclawdust

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Has the filter media been changed recently? How is the media cleaned.
yes last week - i just switch it over for a new one and add a bacto capsule to help the filter

When were the last fish added?
about 3 weeks ago - 2 weeks b4 midnight passed - my ghost

ANYTHING different (doesn't matter how small) happened besides loosing the Betta?
very miniscule white worm looking things in my tank - was told that may be due to the brine shrimp im feeding my ghost with

What are you testing with (I'm sure you have already said. Some testing supplies react negatively with ammonia removers and other chemicals.
i only test using a liquid test kit as nothing else gives me an accurate reading

no probs bout the questions - im here for the help

should i put a few in my QT tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Weekly

Votes: 85 68.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 22 17.6%

Top Bottom