Maintenance Troubles And Health

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey peoples. Due to some mental/physical health problems I’m having trouble doing pwc, gravel vacuuming and any other tank responsibility’s.
I have pains every were especially my arms and legs and stomach which makes it hard for me to do tank maintenance. I’m also having some mental health issues that make it hard for me to get out of bed most days.

If one more person tells me it’s because of my period or just because I’m a girl or an angsty teen I think I’ll explode.

Is it okay to instead of weekly water changes every two weeks? Or ten days? I don’t want to give up on fish keeping my problems are making it hard for me and I don’t want my fish to suffer. Parameters are 0/0/15-20 and I have gone two weeks with just top offs and the parameters were the same.

alauruin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keep in mind that although we love our fish, YOUR health always comes first! Are weekly water changes the most ideal and appropriate thing? Yes. Is it "fish abuse" to do biweekly water changes instead? Definitely not. Do what you can manage. It's better for the tanks if you keep up with what is doable for you rather than getting overwhelmed and then not being able to do anything.

I feel where you're coming from. I've been there. Just keep making sure you can still enjoy the hobby without excessive stress on yourself, that is the best thing for you and your fish!

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Right now I'm not able to do water changes weekly since I've been really sick. I just clean my tank when I can. I've been feeding my fish less (I was probably over feeding anyway) and that has helped. Sometimes I only clean my tank once a month; it's not ideal but it's what I can do and handle right now.

I hope you feel better soon!

CloudTheFluffy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks guys. I feel really bad when I can't provide the best care I can but there's nothing I can do but wait until I get better.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honestly i do every month or so maintenance. I have a light stocking since my health is in the toilet as well. I tested for all kinds of things of things to see how long i could push it till water conditions changed. Its about 2 months and its only a little change, so unless your overstocked your fishy friends will be fine.

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It’s all I can do most days is make sure everyone is fed and ok. I feel horribly guilty when I can’t do water changes as often as I want. So I understand where you’re coming from. But you can’t do anything for them if you don’t take care of you first. (Do as I say not as I do). If crawling under the covers and taking a break from the world helps, do it. I do.
Take care.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do water changes every other week with my two tanks. Today I did the 55g, next week will be the 90.

I think what you should also do is consider the "work smarter, not harder approach". Since you have a 65g you should consider buying a pond pump to pump the water out with the python system, and use the same hose to refill the water. It would cut lifting out and all you have to do is struggle with the python hose like every fishkeeper here.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom