How Do I Maintenance Post-vacation

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
so I just got back from a trip that was nearly a month long. During the time I decreased the amount of food given to my fish (precautionary to prevent overfeeding, and also to reduce the waste. Pet sitter was spot on with instructions, thankfully) during the time no water changes were done, and before the trip I had done 2 WCs in a week rather then the normal 1. I took a look at the tank and everything seems fine, though my betta tank will need some major maintenance. For maintenance I was planning to do 2 WCs this week then afterwards continue the usual 1 per week. I do about 30-50% each WC. This week I’ll do larger ones (40-60%) Does this sound good?

However my main concern was my java fern. It overall seems less lively. Some leaves are brown and the ones that are still green seem to be wilting. My rhizomes are not buried- I made sure of it. I’m thinking maybe just too much light? I was worried they wouldn’t get enough light, so I told the pet sitter to turn on the lights in the morning and off in the evening. It’s possible on days it was sunny the tank simply had too much light. Any other potential causes I’m not thinking of?

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update:
Unfortunately I had one casualty emerald rasbora. I tried looking for signs of death but the body was rotted and eaten in multiple places so it was impossible to tell. Judging by the state of the body and the fact it was floating, my guess is the death to be around 5 days ago

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry you lost a fish
I'm thinking since Java Ferns feed off the water column, no water changes for a month might indicate that it was just running low on nutrients? Do you usually add any kind of fertilizers to the tank? Hopefully a few water changes over the next week or so will help.

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry you lost a fish
I'm thinking since Java Ferns feed off the water column, no water changes for a month might indicate that it was just running low on nutrients? Do you usually add any kind of fertilizers to the tank? Hopefully a few water changes over the next week or so will help.
I don’t use any ferts, thus why my plant options are limited. The brown leaves separated from the stem so I removed them. No use letting them sit there and rot; there were no leaflets coming off of them. All my other java ferns are green, with just a few leaves beginning to brown on a few individual rhizomes. Almost all my leaves have leaflets sprouting, and all my rhizomes are sprouting new leaves, the larger rhizomes more than the smaller ones. The new growth has a very healthy green color and are tough and stiff. The ones on the rhizomes are 1-3 inches long, and I have maybe 3 leaflets that have detached from the main plant. The rest are still attached to the plant, most being only a set of roots as of now, others having a leaf about 1/2- 1 inch long. When I did WC I checked for algae or diatom growth that might’ve covered them and found none. They seem fine now- I think I was probably paranoid after seeing the brown leaves. Still a few turning brown though and a lot of leaves that broke off.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds like it might just be doing what Javas do... The larger leaves turn brown (and eventually die) after producing new plantlets, and new leaves and new plantlets are sprouting fairly often. It seems to be a continuous cycle with them. At least that's how mine are. I honestly don't love Java Ferns... but they are an easy, cheap and readily available tall plant

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sounds like it might just be doing what Javas do... The larger leaves turn brown (and eventually die) after producing new plantlets, and new leaves and new plantlets are sprouting fairly often. It seems to be a continuous cycle with them. At least that's how mine are. I honestly don't love Java Ferns... but they are an easy, cheap and readily available tall plant
I just love how easy it is. You just throw it in! Grows faster than anubias too and not annoying like hornwort

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom