Maintaining Tropical-Fish in the U.S. ,Canada , and Europe..How?!

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
When I hear about the extremely high temperatures you guys are dealing with right now,along with power-outages in parts of the country,I have to wonder how you keep your fish alive and healthy?..Hats off to y'all,'cos I know you're going the extra mile to get it done..and that's what it comes down to at the end of the day,whether extremely hot or cold,please just get it done..I'm rooting for you.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Air Conditioning! ;D

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thats right having air conditioning helps, in the summer.

czarben

Reaction score
I have a miniature fire hidrant in the tank that I turn on for them when it gets really hot Just kidding. AC helps a lot, though I've heard some interesting methods for when the power goes out or you don't have AC: Frozen water bottle in the tank, de-chlorinated ice cubes, or just adding cool de-chlorinated water. Just be careful not to swing the temp to drastically. Hopefuly the worst is past now. We had T-storms last night and it's much cooler today ;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
During the heat wave I've had a few A/C's running around my house - so it was cool inside and the fish were OK. But if we had a power outage where I live, I don't know what I'd do. I wouldn't be able to use ice because the freezer wouldn't work. I suppose the only thing I could do is adding cool water to my tank to keep it cool in case of a power outage. Thanks God the worst is over! We're back to normal summer temperatures now (not saying it's not hot, but it's way cooler than it was during the heat wave). The humidity is still here, of course, as always.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm still floating 2 sandwich baggies of dechlored ice cubes in two of my tanks today. Funny how only 2 of them go off the charts, but I have tried the airconditioning and the cooler water and the fans and everything else I know of and even not using the lights but these two tanks creep up above 85 almost every day and the heaters aren't running because I unplugged them. So it is ice cubes and shading them from the sun as much as possible. (they do get some sunlight but not strong direct light).

Marty and the Girls love to swim around the cubes when they are in there and it must really feel good because that is where they head to immediately when they go into the tank. Even the snails perk up when it cools down. I am just hoping none of them get sick with the wild temperature swings.

Rose

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
In my region, during summer, the temp would go upto 42d C.. and it is absolutely humid... Our shirts would get soaked if we are in the sun for a few minutes.

Imagine the aquarium's temperature. I'm not sure how much it would be, as I have started my aquarium just after the summer is over.

But still its temperature reads 32 d C.. not sure whether the thermometer is working or not..

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I know i used a cup of Ice and just kept it from spilling over into the tank had it wedged between the light and the side of the tank with the lid off i've also notice an air stone helps too tho i think i lose more water than i'm cool anyway many methods and if we didn't love them to death well they would be gone :'( anway for those of you still fighting with mother nature good luck it will cool down soon!!

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Southern Alberta, Canada rarely gets THAT hot. We'll have a few hazy days of summer, as it were, maybe up to mid thirties, but it generally stays around 22-25 from July to early September, a few really hot days or rainy days in a row.

Our winters are also fairly mild, going down to a max of -20 Celsius most times. My tank is in a perfect place; it is not too near the direct glare of the sun and is also not in a place where it is constantly in shadow. My heater seems very good, keeping the water a constant temp, so if need be I can adjust it.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
We like it cooler, so our air conditioner runs constantly. I have no problem keeping my tanks cool with the air on.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well we went from having horrible heat and humidity to having 7.5 inches of rain in a week and now cool weather and when I was out with a friend today I could not believe my eyes!!! Our trees are starting to change color and I am told that it has only started this week when it turned cooler. Our temperatures have definitely taken a turn downward during the night. We were having upper 70s all night long and now are having lower 50s (for those of you on Celsius from about 26C down to about 12C). Now we started this week having another 2 inches of rain last night so if this keeps up and the leaves are turned the trees will be naked before too long. I am just waiting for the Snow Geese to start going overhead.

My tanks are cooler now that I figured out what the problem was. The motor from my filter in the two tanks affected was causing the extra heat. I do not know why the third tank is not doing the same thing but I am converting to sponge filters so that will take care of the problem... Cycle cycle cycle. Fortunately it does not take that long to cycle a sponge filter and I do have some Bio-spira left if things get desperate. I will leave the Bio-wheels in place until I am sure they are cycled.

Rose

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
miserable in Dallas...lows in the 80's, highs in the 100's every day....we have had 34 days this year that were over 100 degrees, and today will be the 11th day in a row...we have been in drought conditions all summer...many cities with water restrictions...we can only water the yard 2 days a week for a few specified hours...landscaping businesses are going under...air conditioner runs constantly, and they are now warning we may suffer rolling black outs in Texas if businesses and individuals don't conserve their electricity...pray, pray, pray!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Many many prayers to you and your area and those others going through what you are. I am so sorry that you all are having this terrible weather, it makes me almost ashamed to have such relief here.

Rose
:-[

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom