Maintaining Cycles At Low Ph

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fahn, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

How do you maintain a cycle in a tank with low pH, as in 6.5 or lower?

Asking this in regards to species with low pH requirements, such as certain dwarf shrimp or discus.

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

3. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Should be fine at 6.5, but if it is unstable just push it down.

4. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

My substrate buffers pH to 6.0, and on top of that I am using wood, leaf litter, and alder cones. So, at a pH potentially less than 6, can I even keep a cycle going?

5. Sarcasm Included

No
    You push it down below 6.0 to bind the ammonia to ammonium instead of keeping a cycle to process it. You do water changes to remove the ammonium concentrations instead of removing nitrates.

6. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

So at those levels basically all ammonia is rendered harmless.

How often would you perform water changes if the tank in question is heavily planted with a low bioload, such as a nano tank with dwarf shrimp?

7. Sarcasm Included

If it is planted heavy enough 25% every 2-3 weeks, but again it depends on how high a plant load to your bio load you have. Plants absorb the ammonia faster than they would nitrates, so if you have low enough bio-load your just replacing minerals instead of removing anything.

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Exactly, at a low ph people worry about not having a cycle, but at that point it's not so dangerous because ammonia is non-toxic then.

9. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The tank is only 3.3 gallons, 18x6x7 inches. An inch +/- of Controsoil that the packaging says buffers pH to 6.0. With the addition of wood and possibly IAL and alder cones I am looking at a pH less than 6. I am on a well so I just use untreated tapwater in all my tanks.

My tap water parameters are as follows:
    pH = 6.5-6.7
    KH = 6
    GH = 7

My plants will be a carpet of Marsilea hirsuta, java moss, duckweed, and perhaps a small crypt or 2. I like my tanks to have as little visible substrate as possible.

My biggest concerns are the shrimp getting enough calcium and magnesium, and breeding not occurring at low pH. I only have two shrimp right now, some baby blue velvets in a separate, well established 5 gallon as a temporary home. Being neocaridina, I am worried the pH is too low to encourage breeding, even with adequate cover, plenty of biofilm (I am dosing Bacter AE), a good diet, and decent KH. Should I attempt different species altogether?

10. Sarcasm Included

I have never kept neos at low PH, I agree that there would be issues with calcium... You should be able to easily maintain your ph with those readings though and they will breed at 6.5

11. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Would you recommend trying to exhaust my substrate's buffering ability first? Perhaps a bag of crushed coral in the tank and frequent water changes? I don't want to tamper with water parameters with live animals in the tank.

As for calcium I have SunGrow mineral stones and am thinking of making my own montmorillonite clay balls.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice