Maintaining a cycle in a QT tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Bithimala, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Bithimala

BithimalaFishlore VIPMember

I picked up a tiny little tank in case I end up needing to QT anyone for treatment of some sort. It's, I think, 1 gallon or so... Question is, how often do I need to add an ammonia source to keep the cycle going? Unless someone sees an issue, my plan is to dose it up to between .5 and 1 ppm, but how often does this need to be done?

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Do you have an extra sponge filter you're running in any of your other tanks? If not, I would just use a piece of filter media from one of your established tanks and use that to instantly cycle your QT tank once you need it.

3. Grimund

GrimundWell Known MemberMember

Why bother? Just cram extra filter media into a cycled filter. Just place the media in with it when you need to use it

4. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

Because they're full of matrix... and because it's small, out of the way, and if I can go for .5-1ppm ammonia, I don't need to do anything but water changes to keep it going (the benefit of unpleasant tap water).

5. Grimund

GrimundWell Known MemberMember

All canisters?

6. el337

I can't imagine the 1g needing all that much. Do you have a piece of sponge in any of your established tanks that you can take?

7. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

No, all HOBs. If I try to shove anything else in to them, they'll overflow.

I could cut up part of a current filter, but that would then result in me needing to replace it in the HOB, which seems like a bit of a waste to me.

8. el337

What if you took a media bag and put in some matrix from your tank? You wouldn't need a whole lot.

9. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

el337 are you just really thinking it's wasteful to have the little tank up and running or too problematic? Just trying to figure out why it would make more sense to have to move something over in the event that I need a QT instead of just having it ready to go?

10. el337

I just don't think it's necessary and would require more work to have a running QT. You'd have to constantly dose ammonia to keep the BB alive or move in a couple of nerite snails and/or shrimp. But if you move in some inhabitants, it wouldn't really be considered a QT tank.

Personally, I think it's just easier to stick a piece of fine filter pad or floss in one of your tanks. Then if/when you need to set up the QT, just move over the filter pad in the QT's filter. That's just what I would do.

11. NikkiHill0509Valued MemberMember

I had an extra sponge filter that always ran in one of my tanks. When I had a sick fish and needed a QT, I'd take the sponge filter out of an established tank and put it in the QT. Instant cycle. My QT was very bare. No substrate, no decor. Just the sponge filter. Much easier to break down and set up as needed.

12. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

That's the benefit of having the amount of chemicals in my water that I do. Straight out of the tap, it runs between .5 and 1ppm ammonia, so there's no work other than picking the little thing up, dumping the water into my plants, and adding in new water with a couple drops of Prime. I've actually used the tap water to cycle a couple tanks effectively.

13. el337

Oh, I see. So you would just need to do water changes every week or so to keep the BB fed? Then it would really be a planted tank until you need to quarantine a snail/shrimp, I guess?

14. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

That was the exact thought (haven't decided if I would add any plants to it or not at this point - it's completely out of view from basically anywhere unless you are specifically looking intentionally at it) and why I was wondering if the .5-1 ppm once a week would be sufficient for the BB or if it would have to be more often than that. And then, yes, if I needed to QT a snail or shrimp, I would have it ready to go.

15. el337

I doubt you would have to add any more ammonia than that for the tank size. Just curious, is it because you are expecting to get new shrimp/snails or was it just for possible sick ones?

16. OP
    OP
    Bithimala

I had one who was sick a little bit ago, who unfortunately didn't make it. Want to make sure I have it up and available in case any others show any signs of disease.

Wish I had space for more! :)

17. el337

I guess if you don't mind adding the extra water each week and the electricity req'd to keep the filter/heater running, it's ok. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice