Maintain a "cycled" tank without fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Joseph Young, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Joseph YoungNew MemberMember

Hi everyone.

My name is Joseph. But you can call me jojo for short.

Im just starting to prepare to keep fish again after 5 year break.

Previosly i have always cycled my tanks with fish. using used filter media from a friend.

I want to fishless cycle my 10gal AQUAONE AR380 for a betta and maybe a couple of complientary fish down the track.

My question is I wont have an exact date i can get my betta It depends when im well enough to go get one from the breeder.

If i cycle my tank using DR TIMS PURE AMMONIA and my API MASTER FW test kit.

How would i keep the tank "cycled" and the benificial bacteria thriving ready for my betta.

(sorry about the caps makes it easier for me to re read the important points)

Cheers Joseph

2. Aster

AsterWell Known MemberMember

You keep dosing the ammonia. As long as there is an ammonia source, the BB will stay alive.

What other fish are you considering with the betta?

3. OP
    OP
    J

Joseph YoungNew MemberMember

Thanks for answering me so fast :D

Id like to keep 5-6 neon tetras.

And some sort of catfish for cleaning purposes (and because they are cute)

Im used to having one really large tank. so im unsure what sort of catfish for this tank

4. Aster

Haha, no problem!

Unfortunately neon tetras aren't suitable for a 10 gallon, and neither are any catfish or cleaner fish. The neons are too active and any bottom feeders need more floor space.

What about shrimp or snails?

5. cnstowers

cnstowersValued MemberMember

One large mystery snail could do a great job in a 10 gallon

6. OP
    OP
    J

Ooh. I had never thought of a mystery snail.

I have pet rainforest snails already lol.

Thanks so much

7. cnstowers

cnstowersValued MemberMember

If you get a fairly large one make sure you drop in some algae wafers or something every few days so he doesn't starve
    Depending on how active it is, it could get your whole tank done in a night lol, mine is up cleaning all night then sleeps in a cave all day

8. Bbarb27Valued MemberMember

If you keep dosing the ammonia until you are ready for fish, be sure to do a water change to remove nitrates before you add the fish. They will build up during the fish-less cycle

9. OP
    OP
    J

Just another question about dosing the ammonia.

How much should i dose to maintain the "cycle"

10. Aster

Is your tank already cycled? If so, daily dose the same amount of ammonia you used during the cycling process.

11. OP
    OP
    J

My tank isnt cycled yet.

I havent started cycling it until i have all the info i need for perfoming the cycle.

If you know of any articles or information on FISHLESS cycling with Dr Tims Ammonia Chloride Soloution. WITHOUT the "one and only bacteria" it would be greatly appreciated.

12. Aster

13. OP
    OP
    J

Ok. I'm doing the add and wait process.

Does that mean once my tank is cycled and dropping 4ppm of ammonia in 12 hours or less i should dose 4ppm daily?

14. Aster

Maintain a "cycled" tank without fish

I believe you dose until ammonia is 4ppm, and dose as necessary when it drops down to about 1 ppm.

15. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Yes, if that is the bio load you want it to handle. Keep it going at least 2ppm. Test regularly to make sure it is processing as expected.

I keep QTs cycled this way and just do occasional water changes to keep nitrates in check. Of course, I keep getting new fish or press 20g QT into service for fry grow out tank so not usually much time sitting empty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice