mail order plants question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by DaveofTN, Mar 19, 2010.

1. D

DaveofTN Valued Member Member

When mail ordering/internet ordering plants, at what point should I consider them unacceptable and demand reshipment or a refund? Normally I buy plants from people so I know I'm not also buying snails, etc.

But...I wanted some slender leaf java ferns...so...yeah. They arrived, third of the leaves dead, 50% had dead tips, all the leaves that were green had black spots all over them. Should I keep or demand a refund?

Attached is a pic of the plants.

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

ive gotten some that arent as good as when you buy from friends or seeing them in front of you, but that one looks awful to me and id not accept it....but thats my :;2cents

3. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Personally, I would trim it, use it, and move on. As a Java fern, it likely will survive. As long as you've got a few healthy rhizomes, it shouldn't be a huge deal.
    I likely wouldn't buy from that seller again, though. I haven't sold many plants, but I know that I trim the dead leaves before I ship, and I certainly don't pull root clusters that have as many dead leaves as that. I would also likely send them a very polite e-mail and just ask what condition it was in before it left. Perhaps the package sat in the sun in the back of a post office truck or something. That would give the seller a heads up that there had been a problem and offer them a chance to explain, to avoid the problem in the future, etc...

4. OP
    OP
    D

Well, I sent the seller a friendly email asking for a refund or new plants. The plants came from Asia. So, I understand it's hit or miss with the shipping. I will be sure to post the results of it. Since I got them off ebay, if anyone wishes to know the seller, I will gladly say in PM.

Also, I ordered 4 plants which the seller said would have 20 leaves each. Would you all say that is what I received judging from the picture? I counted only 45 leaves unless I also counted "micro" leaves the size of a toothpick.

5. sirdarksol

I'd say 45 is probably a good guess at what you're looking at. I could see getting four plants out of that, but I definitely wouldn't call that 20 leaves apiece.
    Given that, I think you're right asking for a refund or reshipment.

I was going to ask via PM, but you won't have that until 50 posts, so I'll ask here.
    The folks you ordered from, do they offer free shipping on nearly all of their plants? If so, I think I know who you're talking about, and I'm surprised they'd screw up like this. I've ordered from them before, and they've always sent me more than I ordered. I suppose everyone makes mistakes. The big test is, how do they choose to deal with those mistakes?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully that's a shipping issue. I've recently started selling plants and I can tell you I would not ship out a plant that looked like that. I hope you get the situation taken care of, and that everything works out with your plants.

7. N

Neji Valued Member Member

I hear people complain about having plants that come to your doorstep and when you take the plants out of the bag, some have appeared to be dead :( That's why I never order plants online :) mainly because I don't have a credit card or those master or pay pal cards :p

8. Shawnie

having brown leaves and even some dead, is always normal when ordering off big companies online...ive done it for years and sometimes the plants are even in a dormant stage until you get them in your tank....but ive never seen plants this bad...the brown leaves dont scare me as you can peal them all off and a java fern will spring right up ...but the black spots do ...as well as the crud around the root area as SDS suggested....but again, thats just my opinion :)

9. OP
    OP
    D

Well, after the input from you guys, I sent the seller an email with the pic and I went ahead put a claim into paypal just to be safe.

As soon as it is resolved, I will make sure to post results and I'll even post the seller's name so people know what they might be getting into.

Thanks for help and advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I feel a lot better going into the negotiation process with this seller knowing that the product I ordered is substandard quality.

10. Shawnie

did you give him time to reply to your earlier email?

11. sirdarksol

Paypal actually suggests not waiting, because there's a limited time to file the claim. It results in no negative marks on the seller, presuming either they are found to be faultless or they fix the problem to Paypal's happiness. They're actually really good mediators. I've had to file claims a few times.

12. OP
    OP
    D

Well, I have until April 8th to put in a claim where paypal gets involved.

So, to make a correction, I put in a Resolution Case with paypal. I always do this and first give the seller a week or so to correct the situation themselves. If they correct themselves without being forced to, I still give positive feedback since I know stuff happens.

13. OP
    OP
    D

Ok, the seller wrote me back today and gave me a refund through Paypal.

They said they've been having shipping problems lately for some reason, otherwise they'd just send me new plants due to the picture I sent them. The email was very friendly. In fact, they encouraged me to trim off the bad leaves and try letting the rhizome sprout new leaves.

For something out of their control, they handled it very nicely and professionally. In a few weeks, I would probably try using them again, although I'm still not sure if their idea of 80 leaves matches my idea of 80 leaves, lol. Their ebay name is "Aquaticmagic".

Thanks for the help guys!

14. sirdarksol

That makes me feel a lot better.
    Aquaticmagic is, indeed, the seller I was thinking of (there are only a few plant sellers on eBay... most of them are on Aquabid, and not many people ship to the US from Asia, except for at great expense), and I have had nothing but good service with them.

15. OP
    OP
    D

yeah, as I said, they were really nice about it. In a few weeks, I would be willing to try them again. Their packaging and service is really good. They will be the first sellers I have bought from that I have gotten a refund and I still give positive feedback.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice