Mahachai Betta?

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know this will probably sound crazy, but I think I may have accidentally acquired a MahachaI betta (from Wal-Mart, no less!). When I first saw it in the store, I was fairly sure it was a male even though it had short fins, but at the time I thought it was just a plakat. However, now that I have it at home and I've had a chance to observe it more closely, I'm kind of suspecting that it might be a male MahachaI betta. It closely resembles the betta in the picture in this FishLore profile:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/oct07/mahachaibetta.htm

It has long ventral find (which is one of the main reasons I think it's a male). They are tipped in white like the fish in the picture.

What's the long fin behind the ventrals called? The one along the betta's belly? My betta has a longer thin curved section at the back of his like the betta in the picture.

His coloring is close to the fish in the picture too, but he has more indigo in him, particularly on his tail, but he does have some sea green and maroon on the tail also.

So could he really be a MahachaI betta, or am I just going crazy? I'll try to get some pictures up soon, but in the meantime, does anyone have anything to say on this?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
WOW that would be wild. Can you get a picture of him so we can see him?

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pictures will be up shortly - I'm processing them right now!!

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK, here are pictures. They aren't that great, but you can get an idea of what he looks like. Also, he looks more washed out in the pictures than he does in real life, and he looks a LOT more washed out today than he did at the store yesterday. When I bought him, his body was very dark indigo with lighter aqua-colored irridescent shimmers on the edges of his scales. I'm hoping his color will come back soon.

38.jpg

I like this picture because you can see his ventral fins clearly as well as the thin curved section of the fin behind them (the one I forgot the name of).

39.jpg

This one shows his color a little bit better than the first one.

40.jpg

41.jpg

So what do y'all think? I don't think it's a female because like I said, its colors were MUCH more vibrant last night and because of the length of the ventral fins. Also, I don't see an egg tube anywhere.

**Edited to add** Here is a link to a video I took.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maddie, he looks like a multI color traditional plakat male to me......The fin you don't know the name of is the "analfin"

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK thanks MM! What is the hook thing on the end of the analfin, though?

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Traditional plakats have that.....He is a very nice male by the way......

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks to me like he has a bit missing on his analfin...That is why you are seeing the "hook" It will grow back....

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He is beautiful. He doesn't seem very old to me, but MM would know that better.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! He sure is beautiful!!!!!! I LOVE his colors!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wow, he looks almost like my WalMart rescue, Plutto, but with shorter fins! Plutto has the same body color and stripes, but nice long (but growing out) fins. twins! <3

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
he looks wonderful congrats on your new addition

MaddieLynn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's really colored up! Here are some more pictures. He looks SO washed out in the first ones!

64.jpg

65.jpg

(I'm mad at the algae for ruining this picture!)

66.jpg

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
does he randomly change his body color? Plutto's will go from that light brownish-tan to a royal blue every few days ???

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads