Magoo's big tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Magoo, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello :)

As some may know I have had a recent tragedy with my 12 gallon and my fiancé has offered to get me a 55 gallon for Christmas if I sell the 12 and then went and sold it for me bless him.

My plan was to get a couple of blood parrots as I love them very much but after thinking about it I think my flat may be too noisy for them as I have read they are timid fish and the television will be close to the tank and it will be on the wall that leads to the bedroom so there will be foot traffic too.

Also I don't want them to get left out as I already have my two betta boys that take up allot of my attention the pair of monkeys. Which is why the endlers and he unsociable Liara were perfect as I could leave them to do there thing don't get me wrong they weren't ignored and I used to love sitting watching the tank.

When I do get blood parrots which will happen eventually I want to be able to offer them the perfect home and don't want to rush it just to make me happy in want them to be happy too.

I'm not wanting to go down the endler route again livebearers will eventually overpopulate my 55 so I'm steering away from them for now

I will be having corydoras and maybe a plec as I have many rare ones available to me I will be doing tetra plant complete and sand capping it and it will be heavily planted so my question is what fish should I go for?

Should I stay small dither or should I have a large centrepiece apart from the plec of course.

All suggestions are welcome I am pretty much open to anything well apart from discus my fiancé isn't a fan despite me thinking they are gorgeous. And I would prefer fish that aren't going to uproot the wanted aquatic garden :)

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
  2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Young blood parrots will be shy for a while. My older ones are very brave, aren't bothered by people walking by or anything.

Look in to Rainbowfish, They are awesome!

3. OP
    OP
    Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

55 gallon for Christmas :)

Hello Cichlidnut :) hope you are well :)

Do you think they would be ok with a loudish television? I don't want to put them in a stressful home I want them to be as happy as can be.

Also I've heard they like to dig up plants?

I just want to do all the research I can to make sure they are contented. I am excited at the thought of finally having a tank big enough.

What about angelfish? Would they be less skittish with a loud television?

4. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

If you aren't going to get the blood parrots, my personal preference is angelfish. I have 8 of them now in my big tank and I love watching them float back and forth. Of course, they might eat smaller fish like endlers or tetras, so you have to take that into consideration. There are so many different fish that would make wonderful centerpieces and I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions. And then you will go into the store and a certain fish will just "hit" you and you will know that's the one you want.

5. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

if you get blood parrots they will mess with plants so might want to skip them. i have plants with mine and they are doing ok just know it can be a problem, some bp's more then others.

angelfish? i didnt really like them tell i got some, they are very personable fish.

edit... get the angels save the bp's for a 75g so you can have more than 2.

6. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Of course, one it 'hits' you you'd do well to research it XD

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning Magoo,

Your fiance sounds like a keeper! :) That was very nice of him.

As for the Bloody Parrots, mine are elderly as you probably know and I couldn't get them to hide if I wanted to. :) It did take many of them a month to 3 months to acclimate to their environment and overcome their shyness. They will adapt to the foot traffic and the TV being on.

I have a large flat screen right beside my 265g in the fish room. They are not bothered by it in the least.

I wouldn't let these issues stand in your way of getting the fish that you want from the start. They will adapt. I know you want to give your fish the best care possible and that's great.

enabler_queen.gif

Keep us posted.

Ken

8. OP
    OP
    Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

I never used to be fussed about angelfish until I saw the various pictures here like AmazonPassion's and Matt B's for example and of course Cichlidnuts :)

If I was to go down the angelfish route how many could I put in a 55 with corydoras possibly Congo tetras or rainbow fish and a plec?

I know angelfish can pair off so sexed ones are better also :)

9. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

4 anglefish would be the max but depending on how many of the other fish you want maybe only 2. i guess you could do this.
    4 angels
    6 rainbows
    6 tetras
    1 pleco
    8 corys
    this is deff stocked

yeah you might want to start with 6 or 8 small angelfish and take some back when they pair off.

10. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

You're absolutely right, and we all know Sarah is an avid researcher when it comes to her fish :D.

11. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Haha, you're right!

12. OP
    OP
    Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol thank you :) I'm really confused now to blood parrot or not to blood parrot I really do like the planted look but will the little monkeys destroy all my hard work ;)

13. Aquarist

Doh! Good point Magoo about a planted tank with Bloody Parrots (BP).

I tried 10, 12" Java Ferns in my 265g and the Bloody Parrots were eating the plants right along side with my Silver Dollars. My BP's also eat Romaine lettuce every day. You may or may not have good luck with the plant BP combo.

When I had plastic plants in this tank, they didn't stay in the substrate for long. The larger the fish the more likely they are to rearrange their own tank. I only have driftwood and terracotta now in my 265g.

Ken

14. OP
    OP
    Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Lol the little monkeys :) maybe I should wait until I get another 55 and have a non planted tank for blood parrots :)

15. Aquarist

teehee :)

I'm sure you will make the right decision on what is best for you and your fish. Keep us posted. I know you must be excited. :)

Ken

16. OP
    OP
    Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Think I may go the angel fish route but keep it to two to keep it peaceful I don't think I would want them to breed anyway as I wouldn't have space but if I ended up with two males would they fight?

I'm guessing the angels should be the last fish to get as they can be territorial and start stocking with the schooling fish as corys and plecs prefer an established tank.

I'm really excited to get this started how many sleeps till Christmas?

17. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I think 2 _should_ get along in a 55, same sex or not. I think they're (RELATIVELY - these are still cichlids!) peaceful with conspecifics until they mate, at which point pairs will pick on unpaired fish.

18. OP
    OP
    Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Cool thank you :) now for which ones to go for?

I don't know much about angels apart from what I have briefly looked up and also from what I have learned from my fellow fishlorians I think ill have to research which ones are available to me and then decide :) oooooooooo I'm soooooooo excited (unless of course when I go to the LFS and see another fish that I fall in love with ;))

Although there will be no impulse buys with this tank it's going to take a while to set up but once it is it will be perfect (well I hope so anyway)

19. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Congrats on the 55g. I can't wait to see your finish tank. You have really nice planted tanks.

I've always loved the Blue Smokies, Red Koi or any Blue varieties. Great choice in getting Angels, I really enjoy mine a lot.

I think you can put 4 Angels in a 55g...when it comes to spawning and being aggressive I've learned to take the eggs away and everything reverts back to normal. Other than that, they are very peaceful in my tank. They don't pick on any other fish only the RCS.

First Angel requires 20g and 10g for every additional Angel. Of course you got to factor the other fish you want in your tank as well.

20. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I was just about to say if they spawn they'll fight the other Angels but you beat me to it CJ!

There is the potential to have a war zone when keeping more than 2 Angels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice