Magnum canister not filtering

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just got it used for free with the 55 gallon i purchased, and they told me it was not working for them. It turns on, when the lid is off water shoots pretty strongly out of the return line (my carpet is all wet cause i wasn't thinking of where i was testing this), and i can blow air through both hoses with minimal effort. The little seal/o-ring where the lid attaches to return hose looks really worn, feels very flimsy, and when it is running, i can see water flowing down/out of the connection there. Is my problem that that seal is leaking, so im not building up enough pressure to get water circulating through the tank? I am new to canister filters and don't really know much about them. Could replacing this little ring make all this work? It also came with a hang on back filter that turns on (you can here the motor) but does not circulate. Any advice on this would be great aswell. if all else fails it came with an under gravel filter and several power heads, but i really dislike under gravel filters.

EDIT: BTW, it is a magnum 350

Last edited:

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
To make sure the o-ring is placed correctly, set it on the lip of the lid. It should buffer between the lid and the main canister to create a tight seal. Check to make sure the lock nuts are holding the hoses tightly. If there is an air leak anywhere within the canister, it can cause it to lose its prime (I had this problem when I first got mine). If you feel the o-ring is overly stretched or has any noticeable nicks, it should be replaced. Also, make sure you pre-fill the canister to the water line, about 2 inches below the top. Something else to check, does it have all 4 metal clamps on top? Make sure each are tightly attached and holding the lid down. Check to make sure the inner cartridge (the only you can add media like carbon) or the micron cartridge has 2 rubber gaskets, one on the top and another on the bottom....and that you have the clear tube correctly inserted into the middle. Another common mistake is to have the intake tube on the outtake connector. Once you are confident the canister is correctly put together, you should run the pump for 10-15 seconds. Then turn it off. You should see bubbles coming from the intake tube in your tank. It can takes an average of 30 seconds to finish. This is the priming step. Once all bubble are done.....Turn it back on.

If you didn't get the paperwork showing how to put the filter together, you should search Google for it. This would allow you to verify you have no missing parts.

Hope this helps.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I got the hang on back working. I have nevere had a hob this large so I didn't realize you needed to prime them. As for the canister, it only has 2 rubber seals instead of 3 and one looks all torn up and the other is very worn. It also makes kinda a weird knocking noise. It may be beyond repair. I may try new seals and see if it gets it working but at least now I can get my tank going

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The Magnum 350 should be able to be repaired and Marineland has all the parts:

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
according to that diagram i am missing one rubber seal and an o-ring, in addition to the two remaining rubber seals being very worn and torn. I think i will start with those, because they are cheap and if that gets it working i will have 160 gallons worth of filters (100 gallon rated Magnum 350 and 60 Gallon rated tetra HOB) on my 55 gallon tank! :)

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Replacing the missing and worn o-rings is a good place to start.

The diagrams on Marineland's site should help if you have any assembly issues as well.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom