Magnum 350 has no suction

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok so I have a magnum 350 that isn't working (i got it that way free). It had worn out gaskets and no oring on the lid, so i replaced those. I still has no suction. I fill it up to the line, and try to get it to prime, but it won't. When i blow in the intake tube, water comes out the return line. What would be the most likely culprit or how do you manually prime a canister filter (so i can see if it just can't self prime anymore)

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
How are you trying to get it to prime? If you know that all the seals are intact and that the hoses are securely attached, the steps should be:

*Fill canister to fill line with micron cartridge or media basket in canister. Make sure both the top and bottom gaskets are correctly in place.

*Attach to tank and turn on for 10-15 seconds.

*Immediately turn off pump. This is the point the canister should start to back fill. Bubbles will come out of your intake tube in the tank.

*Wait until there is no more water movement or bubbles.

*Turn canister back on.

If you haven't already, you may want to check out the owner's manual found .

Good luck.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
what do you mean fill it to the fill line with diatom or canister. I thought you filled it with water. Isn't diatom a kind of algae?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant micron cartridge. I've corrected my original post.

I've used the micron cartridge to help reduce algae issues. You are correct in that diatoms are a type of algae.

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fill it to the line line or as full as you can get it. Snap on the lid and start?? Do you hear the impeller trying or running? If all the gaskets were replaced and good...either your motor is bad or the impeller is bad or missing. It is a very good pump and simple to operate once you get it once!!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The impelled is there and I hear it spin. Maybe I'll pick up a micron cartridge and see if I have better luck with that than the media basket.

Edit: My media basket is missing its lid! I just looked at the manual again and noticed a part with no number floating above the media basket. So I have been putting the upper seal in the wrong lace and not getting a seal. So with either a micron cartridge or a new media basket I should be good to go.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads