Magnetic Soil ?????

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Herkimur, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

Would you guys buy this?
    It looks OLD and is magnetic!!!!!?

I am at PetCo right now trying to decide...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How old is it?

Depending on what you want to plant, sand with root tabs is much cheaper.

3. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Thanks for the quick reply, care more about health and vitality of plants then money atm, I went the cheap route before and that didn't turn out to well.

Is this magnetic stuff going to mess with the motor of my canister below?

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I used it and it was a complete disaster. I would advise you not to use it. It was the reason I had to tear down the 44 project. I am still bitter about it.

5. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Whoa what happened?
    Says it contains heterotrophic bacteria.

6. Thunder_o_b

Within a month there was a pail green slime all over the substrate. Nothing I did stopped it.

There is no chance that I will ever use a product from that co. again.

This is the tank it destroyed
    196-jpg.287625.jpg

7. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

I just actually talked to an honest sales person and he said because of the magnetic properties and my canisters motor being 4 inches from the soil, I should stay away from it.

8. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Yeah the guy said this green slime is the wrong kind of bacteria. It's even already in this bag here.
    Just nasty. The new bags don't show it yet, but an old display bag is 'blooming'.[​IMG]

9. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I use eco complete on my tanks and love it. Haven't had an issue with my canisters, hobs, or even my mag scrape...

@Thunder_o_b beautiful tank to have to tear down :( what is the small sword you have front middle?

10. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Thank you all for the replies.
    I've decided not to buy it because of the magnetic heavy metals, the wrong kinda bacteria and the added algae feed they put in there for the sludge bacteria to munch on so they don't die.

This algae is what ends up blooming.

Too bad because now I don't know what to use....gah !

11. TexasDomer

What kind of plants are you trying to grow?

12. Thunder_o_b

I can not believe that in this day and age a product like this is still being sold.

13. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Jungle Vall and some shorter grasses, dwarf swords? Can't remember the correct name.

14. TexasDomer

Those should all be fine with sand and root tabs if you wanted to go that route.

15. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Oh ok. Thanks for that info. I was under the assumption that Vallisneria is a heavy root feeder and needed a specific substrate to thrive. I think Cory from Aquarium Co-Op said that somewhere.
    If I can't find another plant substrate that's black in color I'll definitely go with black sand + root tabs.

16. TexasDomer

Nope! While vals are root feeders, they're fine with root tabs in the substrate!

17. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

You can also go for other plant substrates such as fluval stratum. Much more expensive, but they are more nutritious than sand and give a natural "dirted" tank look without the dirt.

Just another option :)

18. OP
    OP
    Herkimur

Thx for that tip. I'll definitely have a look at it.
    Think it alters PH though.

19. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

It does, which is good for most fish besides livebearers and cichlids.

20. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

I love my smooth, natural black pebbles (irregular sized and larger than normal aquarium gravel), from one of those 'cheap shops' in tiny net bags for $2, sold for vases etc. It took me a long time to track down enough for 2 2ft tanks, but was totally worth it. The best substrate I've ever had, and everything grows well in it :) I've had many different substrates over the years, but this is the best by far. Now if only they actually sold it in large bags for aquariums lol :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice