Magnet cleaner on acrylic

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can I use the scrubber magnet doo lolly on acrylic ? Or am I going to scratch it to death?.
I'm about to change the water in the 135 gallon and want to knock the algae off the front and sides.
Just got home and have a film on top of the water, time to change it out

Best Answer - View BluMan1914's answer

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know. But I have question 2. Do any of those actually work? Ive had 2 and they don't work at all.

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
I don't know. But I have question 2. Do any of those actually work? Ive had 2 and they don't work at all.
It seems too, the cakes on stuff it wont take off but for the most part it does the job in my 28 gallon hahah.
I have not got the other pump yet to transfer water and just hand pumped out about 80 gallons.
My shoulders are on fire!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just have a metal scraper that works good. Of course you can't use something like that!

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt use it. Acrylic scratches very easily.
Just use paper towels to clean the inside and outside of the tanks. Plus you dont have to worry about the darn thing falling off into the aquarium.

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BluMan1914 said:
Just use paper towels to clean the inside and outside of the tanks. Plus you dont have to worry about the darn thing falling off into the aquarium.
Yeah...I tried a corner in the back,black backdrop,black substrate,black magnet cleaner...you know what I did,I'm not gonna say it though lol, I lost it for about 5 minutes.
Depth perception looking in to water is all backwards hahaha

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
I just have a metal scraper that works good. Of course you can't use something like that!
I opted for the old trusty dish rag and the tank water hahaha, tank is still a foggy light green color even after the water change, hopefully by tomorrow it clears up a bit.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Flipper and mag float both make those magnet cleaners for acrylic. They're made different than the ones for glass so they wont scratch things up.

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:
Flipper and mag float both make those magnet cleaners for acrylic. They're made different than the ones for glass so they wont scratch things up.
I will look into that!
Thank you.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wrench said:
I will look into that!
Thank you.

Here's a link for one. If you read down at the bottom you'll see it takes metal blades for glass and plastic blades for acrylic. They have them in all different sizes. Not just 1/2"

OP
Wrench

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mike1995 said:

Here's a link for one. If you read down at the bottom you'll see it takes metal blades for glass and plastic blades for acrylic. They have them in all different sizes. Not just 1/2"
Sweet! Thank you

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to use Magna Floats and they worked great on open areas of glass on my tanks, but you couldn't get into any nooks and crannies. I got one of those blade attachments and that worked great too. Then one day when using one I heard this nasty sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. I ended up with a huge scrape on my glass.

I don't use them any more. I would not recommend them for anything but glass, and be careful.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
GuppyDazzle said:
I used to use Magna Floats and they worked great on open areas of glass on my tanks, but you couldn't get into any nooks and crannies. I got one of those blade attachments and that worked great too. Then one day when using one I heard this nasty sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. I ended up with a huge scrape on my glass.

I don't use them any more. I would not recommend them for anything but glass, and be careful.

Like I said, they have different blades specifically for acrylic.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
NNNOOOOO!!! Don't use paper towels on acrylic!!!!!!!!! It won't ruin it immediately, but it will absolutely cause abrasion and swirl marks over time and RUIN your tank. Also NEVER ever use Windex on acrylic it will cause it to yellow.
They make special magnetic cleaners that are acrylic safe. Magic Erasers (the kind without soap or cleaners or fragrance...just the plain old original ones) are GREAT for acrylic. You can use a nylon pot scraper thing for particularly difficult stuff as long as it's not nicked or rough on the edge, but the magic eraser is safest.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 said:
NNNOOOOO!!! Don't use paper towels on acrylic!!!!!!!!! It won't ruin it immediately, but it will absolutely cause abrasion and swirl marks over time and RUIN your tank.
You are absolutely correct. For some reason I was thinking about glass, and should have said Magic Eraser.
As much as I love acrylic tanks, I'm scared to death if scratching them. If not I would have one by now.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BluMan1914 said:
You are absolutely correct. For some reason I was thinking about glass, and should have said Magic Eraser.
As much as I love acrylic tanks, I'm scared to death if scratching them. If not I would have one by now.
I've had a couple. To me they are worth the diligence required to care for them. I love the frameless look and the curved corners. My husband (aka my enabler) likes glass and the frames, so now I have glass. Happy spouse happy house!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mike1995 said:
Like I said, they have different blades specifically for acrylic.
I used the right blade. I stopped using them because of the flawed design which wrecked one of my tanks. I don't have any reason to believe the acrylic blades would be designed any better.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I quit using Magna Floats & Razor blades quite a while ago. I discovered that long handled wire aquarium brushes do a better job of knocking the algae off glass. The brushes have soft plastic bristles, which probably wouldn't scratch acrylic.
A pack of three aquarium maintenence brushes cost between $6 - $7 at Petsmart.

ArcaneKand

Reaction score
you can also look up "Fish R Fun Floating Magnetic Algae Cleaner for Acrylic Aquariums" they seem to work well according to reviews.

New Threads