Magic ball needed!

stephpartin

I purchased two Bolivian rams and of course I wanted a male/female pair since they Actually take care of their young. Well i posted some pics earlier in the week but I didn't have a chance to photograph both sides of the fish. I shot the one side with the two black dots. Those dots are on both male and female. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks so much. The first set if images are supposedly a male and the second of the two photos is also a male. Im not too sure about the second one. I think it might be a female. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you.....

Attachments

faydout

If you just got them, I'd consider taking the one back with the sunken belly. I'm not a vet or anything, but I can't remember ever seeing a Bolivian get better from it. If you can't take it back, I'd try and pick up some metroplex for treating internal parasites / bacterial infections, and treating it in a separate hospital tank.

stephpartin

faydout said:
If you just got them, I'd consider taking the one back with the sunken belly. I'm not a vet or anything, but I can't remember ever seeing a Bolivian get better from it. If you can't take it back, I'd try and pick up some metroplex for treating internal parasites / bacterial infections, and treating it in a separate hospital tank.
Hi and thx for replying. I got them 4 days ago. Are you referring to the one that is more streamlined rather than round? Great not another sick fish!! I think i still have the receipt. Everyone else in the tank is happy and active. I will take him back tomorrow. I have noticed that he isn't that active but I thought that was just because the bigger ram is bullying him. Thx so much for catching that.

stephpartin

stephpartin said:
Hi and thx for replying. I got them 4 days ago. Are you referring to the one that is more streamlined rather than round? Great not another sick fish!! I think i still have the receipt. Everyone else in the tank is happy and active. I will take him back tomorrow. I have noticed that he isn't that active but I thought that was just because the bigger ram is bullying him. Thx so much for catching that.
What if he is just not eating because of the new environment and stress from the bully?

Flyfisha

IMO .
When raising other species of fry I always get some fish that are culls and some that grow slowly with others that are breeding quality. Given that fish are raised for money you can see why nobody that has had the fish before you wanted to cull it, or buy it.

I looked at that fish with the sunken belly earlier but did not really know how to raise the subject. While the fish may live a long life it will never be a leader of the pack it will always be the last to eat and the smallest IMO.

To be honest it’s a bit more than streamlined its sunken belly. I have 6 Bolivian rams one is very small one is almost ballooned it’s so short and another has a thin head with eyes that stick out. They are all a few years old.
Perhaps buying a few more is the answer and preparing yourself for the worst.
It may live a long life?

stephpartin

Flyfisha said:
IMO .
When raising other species of fry I always get some fish that are culls and some that grow slowly with others that are breeding quality. Given that fish are raised for money you can see why nobody that has had the fish before you wanted to cull it, or buy it.

I looked at that fish with the sunken belly earlier but did not really know how to raise the subject. While the fish may live a long live it will never be a leader of the pack it will always be the last to eat and the smallest IMO.

To be honest it’s a bit more than streamlined its sunken belly. I have 6 Bolivian rams one is very small one is almost ballooned it’s so short and another has a thin head with eyes that stick out. They are all a few years old.
Perhaps buying a few more is the answer and preparing yourself for the worst.
It may live a long life?
Hello I really don't know what to do. I cant go through another sick fish ordeal. It's too much!! My last two batches of fish were sick. I do not think it was my fault because I just cycled this tank throughly so the first batch of sick fish either got stressed and made themselves sick or something im not seeing because no other fish had been in the tank before. Anyway it really doesn't matter whose to blame. I think I need to take it back. I emailed the store with photos. If I don't hear from them soon I'm taking it up there because I want to minimize the damage to the other fish and tank. Really appreciate your insight. The store just Emailed me back and said no problem bringing it in. Now I just have to catch the little. Punk!! Thanks

jkkgron2

I don’t have much advice for what to do with the ram but in the future I would look into quarantining new arrivals. It’ll save you lots of money for treatment and it’ll reduce the chances of the fish you already have getting sick.

stephpartin

jkkgron2 said:
I don’t have much advice for what to do with the ram but in the future I would look into quarantining new arrivals. It’ll save you lots of money for treatment and it’ll reduce the chances of the fish you already have getting sick.
Oh i know this is my fault. I have a quarantine tank but I just moved and haven't set it up yet because I moved to an apartment where they pay the water so I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to have one. Anyway thanks for your help.

Feohw

The first two pictures are the female, the second two are a male. A glance at the size of the tubes and the shape of the fins is all it needs. The males tube is much smaller, his fins are more pointed.

As for the sunken belly, a lot of new rams come infected with parasites. So it's best to quarantine them and treat with general cure and then, if things don't get better, levamisole to treat for a broad range of parasites.

Top Bottom