Made the Switch to Sand and SO Happy I Did!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by amydeb, Jul 12, 2015.

1. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I had bought my set up used and the previous owner had black gravel with some larger, smooth dark blue gravel in there. I wasn't crazy about it but it was OK. After a couple weeks of indecision whether to put Black Diamond, just plain old sand, or leave it alone, I upped my school of Cory Cats and realized I should just do it.

I went with pool filter sand thinking that I could always add the black later if I wanted to darken it up some. I spend a good part of my Saturday morning washing sand, got the old stuff out (I used a new, rinsed, dust pan) and added the sand.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I did this! The tank looks larger and my Tiger Barbs look great against the light bottom. My Cories seem much happier too! I have never seen them out and about as much as I have in the last 24 hours.

Of course, the down side is that I can easily see the... ehem... "dirt" everyone is leaving but I'll have to get over that for at least a week at a time - until vac/water change day. lol

There is no question here. :) Just pointing out that even though it took up a good part of my day, it was so very worth it!

2. l

lobstahlights Valued Member Member

I did the same! I thought I'd prefer bigger substrate but I was SO WRONG haha. Sand is way easy, and if that "dirt" bothers you the fish can usually deal with the 5% water change it takes to vacuum it up every other day.

Sand is the way to go, I won't go back ~

3. thinkpink94

thinkpink94 Valued Member Member

Yay! That's awesome! :)

I agree, I like sand better too. I just cleaned my tank and it was so easy to see where all the dirt, left over food, etc; was. I have a small tank (5 gallons, 1 fish) so there's not usually a lot to clean up. I use a turkey Baster to suck up the yucky stuff. Dirt sits on top making cleaning a breeze!

Glad you're happy with your decision :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The corys will appreciate the sand, it's more natural for them especially when feeding & imo looks nicer than gravel & is easier to clean as the dirt sits on top

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Good to hear your cories are enjoying the sand :). My cories love my PFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. r

rokshak New Member Member

I switched, too, and like the sand a lot better myself. The kuhli loaches love it and seeing all their "drawings" in the morning makes me smile.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

I love my sand too!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    a

amydeb Valued Member Member

When I woke up this morning, the entire tank bottom was covered in little divots from the Cories and it made me smile! It's the little things... lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice