Made Some Loach Caves

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I set up a second tank just for my loaches and two cories, keeping their bottom dwelling habits at the front of my mind.

I had some extra plastic pipe hanging around for making parrot toys, i decided theyd be pretty cool to use in the tank. I set them under the gravel and made a dead end cave with one and another i made into a tunnel crossing across the depth of the tank

Photos included. The loaches are just starting to check them out, theyre still going spaz from transferring tanks from my community tank. Currently housing them with molly fry lol water is slightly cloudy from the silt being stirred up placing decor in, a water change is planned to reduce this

Attachments

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you came up with a good plan & real good aquascaping. An unexpected benifet is that the plastic pipes won't scratch up the Loaches, like rocks often do.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I set up a second tank just for my loaches and two cories, keeping their bottom dwelling habits at the front of my mind.

I had some extra plastic pipe hanging around for making parrot toys, i decided theyd be pretty cool to use in the tank. I set them under the gravel and made a dead end cave with one and another i made into a tunnel crossing across the depth of the tank

Photos included. The loaches are just starting to check them out, theyre still going spaz from transferring tanks from my community tank. Currently housing them with molly fry lol water is slightly cloudy from the silt being stirred up placing decor in, a water change is planned to reduce this
If you want them to look like wood, you can take a dremel to scuff them up and make lines to look like wood. Pop them in the oven on the lowest setting until they start to sag a bit, then pull them out and keep pressure on them until they cool a bit and get super hard. Then just hit them with some black paint and then a dark brown. Use 3 coats to make it permanent and let them dry for a few days.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you came up with a good plan & real good aquascaping. An unexpected benifet is that the plastic pipes won't scratch up the Loaches, like rocks often do.
Plus they often like to burrow or hide but most hiding places stores sell are more suited to midlevel swimmers

If you want them to look like wood, you can take a dremel to scuff them up and make lines to look like wood. Pop them in the oven on the lowest setting until they start to sag a bit, then pull them out and keep pressure on them until they cool a bit and get super hard. Then just hit them with some black paint and then a dark brown. Use 3 coats to make it permanent and let them dry for a few days.
This is a really good idea, i have a spare tube i added to the community tank for above gravel use, for the betta mostly, i may use this idea for that one
The loach tank ones are below gravel like burrows rather than like logs, though my loach tank is natural themed and the community tank is more ornamental because its my son's tank and he chose the ornaments lol

Even the cories like the tunnels. I have more loaches coming though, because my stores ran out so cant buy locally. Adding both the regular kuhlis and another java.

Attachments

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Very cool!
I used a couple of different sizes of PVC as loach caves but didn’t bury them as much.
However, my Queen loaches prefer either sitting under the sponge filter or lounging between the big piece of granite rock and the back wall.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom