Made Filter

NanaW
I have a carbon filter and I would like to make my own instead I saw it on a post but now I can't find the post what do I need to make my own filter I have a filter back and bio rings to start.

Also I just switched my Betta to a 3 gallon tank but I want to go to a 10 gallon now that I have seen how happy he is with the new size how long should I wait to put him in a new tank again. I would like to try and cycle without fish if possible and I know that takes up to 6 weeks

AquaBaby
Hi, NanaWells!

I've never made my own carbon filter, but I'm sure someone here knows how to do it!

As far as moving him to the 10 gal tank...

Is the 3 gal cycled?

Here is what I would do. However, some people will say he is fine to move to the 10 gal now because his bioload is so small. I just like to stay on the safe side.

If it's not cycled, I would go ahead and just move him to the 10 gal while it cycles. Larger water volume to dilute the waste. No reason to have him in the 3 gal while it's cycling when he could be enjoying the benefits of the 10 gal tank.

If the 3 gal is cycled, leave him there until you have the 10 gal fully cycled. It will sure be tempting to move him before it's done because you know how much happier he'll be in it!

Hope that helps!

Barch
Transfer everything from the old tank into the new tank including any bio media you have in the filter, the betta will be fine in a 10-gallon even if it was fresh water because any toxicities get spread across 10 gallons of water. With one fish you generally don't run into too many issues, especially with a hearty fish like a betta, just keep up on the daily water changes if it's not cycled.

AquaBaby
Transfer everything from the old tank into the new tank including any bio media you have in the filter, the betta will be fine in a 10-gallon even if it was fresh water because any toxicities get spread across 10 gallons of water. With one fish you generally don't run into too many issues, especially with a hearty fish like a betta, just keep up on the daily water changes if it's not cycled.

Very True!!! Yup, if you're cycled, you can just move it all over!!! "Instacycle"

Two thumbs up on that one, BettaBarch ! I even know that and didn't cross my mind!!!

NanaW
Hi, NanaWells!

I've never made my own carbon filter, but I'm sure someone here knows how to do it!

As far as moving him to the 10 gal tank...

Is the 3 gal cycled?

Here is what I would do. However, some people will say he is fine to move to the 10 gal now because his bioload is so small. I just like to stay on the safe side.

If it's not cycled, I would go ahead and just move him to the 10 gal while it cycles. Larger water volume to dilute the waste. No reason to have him in the 3 gal while it's cycling when he could be enjoying the benefits of the 10 gal tank.

If the 3 gal is cycled, leave him there until you have the 10 gal fully cycled. It will sure be tempting to move him before it's done because you know how much happier he'll be in it!

Hope that helps!

I just did that this week from 1 gallon to 3 gallon you don’t think I should let him distress for awhile first ?

Even if I’m not cycled in 3 gallon yet ? I just moved him from 1 gallon this week he won’t over stress ? I do water changes every day in 3g

Skavatar
are you talking about the diy power head filters with a plastic water bottle?

NanaW
are you talking about the diy power head filters with a plastic water bottle?

No but that looks interesting lol it was showing how to use floss and bio rings

AquaBaby
Hey, NanaWells. For some reason I didn't get a notification the thread was updated, or if I did I didn't see it. I'm sorry.

So, if you just moved him from the 1 to the 3... how did he handle that move? Did he show signs of stress?

There is no reason you can't wait to move him. Especially if it makes you more comfortable and there aren't any issues going on.

I don't know how you feel about TSS, but I use it and have never had an issue doing so. You can use it to cycle your 10 a bit faster. Or, you could also take a bit of sponge and put it in the 3 gal filter, leave it for a week, then put it in the 10 gal filter to help jump start the cycle.

You know you'll have to post pics of him in his new 10 gal paradise!!

NanaW
Hey, NanaWells. For some reason I didn't get a notification the thread was updated, or if I did I didn't see it. I'm sorry.

So, if you just moved him from the 1 to the 3... how did he handle that move? Did he show signs of stress?

There is no reason you can't wait to move him. Especially if it makes you more comfortable and there aren't any issues going on.

I don't know how you feel about TSS, but I use it and have never had an issue doing so. You can use it to cycle your 10 a bit faster. Or, you could also take a bit of sponge and put it in the 3 gal filter, leave it for a week, then put it in the 10 gal filter to help jump start the cycle.

You know you'll have to post pics of him in his new 10 gal paradise!!
Its so okay Aquababy everyone is so nice and helpful here was just waiting for someone to see it he didn't do to bad with the change a little squirrelly for a day maybe two but he loves the 3 gallon and I bought him a floating log and he absolutely loves it lol he won't stay out of it. Right now I don't know if his tank is finally trying to cycle or not I am so new at this his numbers were different than they were for the last 2 days except the only difference is the ammonia everything else is about the same PH 7.8 Ammonia 0.50 today 0.25 after a 20% change Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5.0 I still have seen any nitrites at all do you think it's because I do so many water changes? I do them because I don't want to lose him I can't believe I'm attached to a fish hahaha.
Bet your sorry you responded back now aren't you

AquaBaby
Not at all!!

Since you have nitrates, I wouldn't worry about not having nitrites. I'm curious as to why you're getting ammonia, though, when you have nitrates.

There's more than one way to work a cycle. Fish in for a cycle that's already started, here's what I would do.

Minimal feeding until you get 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites. Keep testing your water, doing WCs as needed. Dose prime with the WC when your test reveals ammonia and nitrites. I like TSS, but you don't dose the tank until 24hrs after your dechlorinator... and if you're doing lots of WCs you can see where the issue is with that!

Have you had a 0 ammonia reading yet, or has there always been ammonia?

If you can't quickly get this tank back on track, I'd stop dosing the ammonia in the 10, WC to get ammonia to 0 (and nitrites to 0 of there are any yet), dose TSS and move him to the 10. The larger volume of water will be easier to keep parameters in check. ...If you do go this way, follow the directions on the TSS exactly. This is usually why people have issues with cycling a tank w/TSS.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sairving
  • Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
angeltank
Replies