Made An Interesting Discovery By Accident!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Gowtham Krishna NS, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Gowtham Krishna NS

Gowtham Krishna NSNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

Made a curious discovery,

PICTURES ENCLOSED, PLEASE REFER

My friend gave me a 1 gallon goldfish tank ( with 2 goldfishes ) to lookafter as he was going away on a foreign holiday

3 weeks back, I did a 100% water change. There was a sheet of glass in the aquarium, the same size as the bottom of the tank. That day, i was in a hurry so, i keept the glass sheet tilted against the side of the aquarium so that the tank divided into two portions. I only feed them the plant chara ( to avoid bloating)

I was very busy these weeks and did not care much. About 2 weeks after water change, i checked the tank and lo and behold, the water was crystal clear. Normally the water used to get cloudy afrer 5 days ( no filter or air bubbler in this tank ). Actually, there is a bubbler, but it wont work. 15666410917175576377790176819765.15666410917175576377790176819765.15666410917175576377790176819765.

The curious stuff is, it seems that all the waste is neatly deposited in the part of the tank enclosed by the glass sheet. It occupies maybe 1/3 of the tank.

3 weeks, no water change, no cloudy water, only water refills ( it is summer here in ) and 100 % natural filtartion and crystal clear water.

Still havent the foggiest idea how this happens, the goldfish live in the other side and have no acess to the encloses region. The only way the waste could have got there is through the small gap on either side of tilted glass ( about .3 mm wide )

The part of tank where the fish live has no waste deposit. I do not think the goldfish could possibly carry waste in their mouth and spit it through the .3mm gap ( for there is waste deposited throughout the middle of the enclosed region)
    On curious thing is that there seems to be a heap of waste on the farthest left corner of the enclosed region.

This is a very good natural filtration way.

But still i havent figured out how this works.

Anybody had similar experiences?
    Maybe it has got do so something with osmosis, if so, could anyone please explain?

Looking forward towards hearing from you all.
    Awaiting your responses.

Attached Files:

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The only thing I can think of is with the positioning of the glass and gap ether side the fish movement is naturally causing a current and pushing everything light to that one spot, they're in a small space so movement is more than if they were in a 10gal

3. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Its called brownian diffusion

4. JamieLu

JamieLuWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +350
    Experience:
    2 years
    Do they always live in a 1 gal tank?

5. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,473
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That did cross my mind

6. Warrion004

Warrion004New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Tell your friend how to keep fish the right way, those two goldfish need at least a 30 gallon aquarium with a filter a heater (Because goldfish still need a heater to keep a consistent temperature) and a bubbler.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  7. Cognac82

Cognac82Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I agree with the above, minus the heater. Goldfish are not tropical and prefer cooler water, and none of my tanks that house goldfish have a heater. They can tolerate very low temperatures and are frequently housed outside in cool environments with no ill effect.
    Goldfish do, however, require very clean water which will require water changes of large amounts. Please tell your friend that his goldfish would be much happier in a proper setup and can live more than ten years.
    Welcome to the forum!

8. Canaculus

CanaculusWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Agreed. Goldfish do indeed prefer cold water.
    I do disagree with the lifespan though. They can live anywhere from 5-45 years, though 5-10 is more common.

OP, this has happened to me before. I once tried to introduce some plants to my brackish 10 gallon. The inhabitants (fiddler crabs) ripped them up after about 3 weeks, but since then the water has been perfectly clear (I added some brackish water plants).

9. Warrion004

Warrion004New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    I like having a heater in a goldfish tank just so I can keep a consistent water temperature I normally keep goldfish tanks at about 73 degrees Fahrenheit

10. Gowtham

GowthamNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I do agree

Thanks for the quick response

I don’t know but I am not receiving any notification via mail when someone is posting in the forum. It is quite frustrating. Also to see this thread, I had to search it in fish lore website. In my content, it is vanished. Anyone know how to fix this?

I’ll send a screenshot to my friend right away, maybe that will change his mind.

Do you guys think this method can be used to keep small tanks clean?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  11. phishRfriends

phishRfriendsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +108
    Experience:
    Just started
    Although the waste is behind the glass it's still in the tank, so you'd still need to perform water changes and vacuum the substrate. Yes, it makes it easier to collect the waste but doesn't alter the need for proper tank maintenance.

12. Gowtham

GowthamNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I’ll keep that in mind.
    Also, feeding fish on 100 percent plant diet reduces ammonia buildup, doesn’t it?

Can it substitute filter using this technique in small tanks where I keep shrimpers and guppy fry?

Since a filter only collects waste in a sponge and degrades it, isn’t this technique similar? Will bacteria buildup in the are behind the glass?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2019
  13. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +498
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Huh. That sure would be useful in my baby betta's 1 gallon tub. He's small enough that 1 gallon is enough for him, but I can't imagine having 2 of those goldfish in that amount of water.
    I siphon out waste with a turkey baster so having all the waste in one spot would be useful.

14. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +758
    Welcome

A filter is much more than just clearing waste. Its a home for good bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrates. But water changes are especially important or ammonia builds up to toxic levels.

Its complicated at first, but read about the nitrogen cycle you will understand how a filter is essential in any aquarium of all sizes and for all sorts of fish.

Its a neat waste cleaning tool, but it doesn't substitute a filter. What this would make easier is scooping out debris in between water changes if this was on a larger tank.

15. NavyChief20

NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +956
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    So this separator plate is just relocating the solid waste. It is not cleaning or filtering. This is 100% like when my kids would hid their dogs pee spots from me . Plant based data will not reduce ammonia. Waste is still produced regardless of what product is ingested. You must filter the water to remove ammonia, and nitrite and maintain a healthy nitrate level.

16. Cognac82

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Feeding goldfish a plant only diet isn't a good idea, either. They need protein and as varied a diet as possible, as do many omnivorous fish.

17. OP
    OP
    Gowtham Krishna NS

Gowtham Krishna NSNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the constructive replies. But they 75% get bloat if i feed them fish wafers. What else to feed them that wont cause bloating and swim bladder disease?

18. Cognac82

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My goldfish eat API and hikari fancy goldfish sinking pellets along with broccoli and other cooked veggies, duckweed, hornwort, anacharis, occasional algae wafers and bloodworms and whatever flake food they can scarf that their white cloud mountain minnow tankmates miss that float down.
    Swim bladder issues can sometimes be caused or contributed to by high nitrates in the water, which build up very quickly with no water changes.
    My goldfish are housed in 75 gallon tanks(4 in 1 tank, 5 in the other) and they get the water pretty much completely drained every week to keep nitrates and organic waste levels down. In a one gallon tank with no water changes I would be surprised if you don't have very high nitrates with two fish in there.

19. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,498
    Experience:
    2 years
    processed fish foods usually contain some grains, like wheat. which can cause bloating and sbd. you can use fresh or dried natural fish foods like spirulina, worms, bugs, daphnia, misc aquatic plants, leafy green veggies, peas, etc.

20. Gowtham

GowthamNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks
    I am currently using the aquatic plant chara.

I see that they no longer eat dead shrimps from my shrimp tank after planting chara.( what can be the reason ?)

It is impossible to get worms and insects as my LFS do not stock them and I live in the middle east.