Madagascar Lace Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by JLeeM, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

So, I've learned that these are very coveted plants, and apparently they grow from a bulb. So what does their care involve? Are they similar to a tiger lotus?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

They’re pretty easy plants, like all bulb plants they will get all their nutrients from the bulb, which will last for a few months. They do go through a dormant stage where all of the leaves will fall of and you will have to remove it and place it in a dark place with damp sand.

3. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Do all bulb plants go through this dormant period? Never heard of it.

4. bryangar

All aponogeton bulbs do. Lily bulbs dont.

5. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Gotcha. Guess I need to research this more.

6. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Hello again.

So, in reading about this plant I found that they need a warm environment during dormancy as opposed to a cool one like most plants do.

Call me crazy but I've got a question. If I were to plant one in say, a 20 long at 78 Fahrenheit, would I ever have to move it for it's dormant period?

7. bryangar

Hmm, I’m not sure, from what i’ve read, the prefer a cooler temp in general. And all the videos i’ve seen on them always says you should remove the bulb, place them in a small cup full of damp sand and store it in a cool place like a basement. You don’t actually have to remove the bulb, it can sit in your tank but the leaves will just shed. But, I don’t see why you cant try it?

8. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

I'm very curious to say the least. I'd love to try it, but afraid of failure. These plants aren't cheap! Lol.

9. bryangar

I mean for $6 on ebay, i’d say that’s pretty cheap.

10. OP
    OP
    JLeeM

Gotcha. The average I've seen is like $10. I don't have the best job so.....yeah. Especially not knowing if I can keep it alive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice