Question Madagascar Lace Plant Shoot

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I recently got a Madagascar lace plant. It is doing great and really filling in an empty part of my tank. The question is about a week ago it produced a shoot toward the surface that had a seed like thing on the end. Well it reached the surface and continued to grow. Now it is easily 5 feet long and just lays coiled on the water's surface. I have no idea what it is or if it is normal? I looked online and couldn't find anything. If someone can tell me what this is it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
20200604_190824[1].jpg
20200604_190803[1].jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not sure what it is and would definitely like to keep this plant eventually. Following with interest and to learn more about it.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a flower, but it may not open. I believe you need another plant to put up a shoot, otherwise there can be no fertilization. Aponogetons put these up pretty regularly. Look up Aponogeton reproduction.

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had a Kubotai rasbora get stuck in a hole in a lace plant. To its peril.

Good job getting an almost flower!

OP
AmigoSpageeto

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
It's a flower, but it may not open. I believe you need another plant to put up a shoot, otherwise there can be no fertilization. Aponogetons put these up pretty regularly. Look up Aponogeton reproduction.
Oh, okay. That makes a lot of sense thank you :happy:

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AmigoSpageeto said:
Oh no, is it okay :eek:
No. I tried to get it out but it had really been stuck in the hole. It swam around for a bit after but died later that day.

I thank you for asking.

OP
AmigoSpageeto

AmigoSpageeto

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fisheye said:
No. I tried to get it out but it had really been stuck in the hole. It swam around for a bit after but died later that day.

I thank you for asking.
Oh my! I'm sorry.

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Be careful with allowing Aponogetons to flower. For them and Barclayas they sometimes live to reproduce. So with some of them, not all, they will either die or go dormant if they are allowed to flower.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
None of mine go dormant when they flower but a couple of periodically gone dormant even if they dont' flower. Thankfully i didn't have to remove the bulb for them to regrow (though it did take 3 or so months of barren terrain).

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, doesn't always happen but I know it happens with Barclaya and I've heard talk of aponogetons doing the same.
They are odd to say the least in that random events can kick them into dormancy. Probably has to do with the plant seeing a change in seasons due to changes in parameters.

New Threads