Madagascar Injury...and worsening...

1. gschra11 Initiate Member

Howdy folks,

I noticed that my female Madagascar Rainbow has developed something on top of her head. The fins appear to be split open and now a fleshy-substance is beginning to come out. The wound appears to be growing. She is not in stress, has an appetite and swims around just like she always has. The other fish are not picking on her or the wound, and I've watched for a long time to make sure that wasn't happening.

My guess is that this is some sort of hemorrhaging, although I have no idea what could have caused it other than maybe getting a little too excited during feeding time and jumping out of the water and hitting the bottom of my hood.

Any thoughts on what I could/should do?

Thanks!

20140716_200100.jpg 20140716_200151.jpg 20140716_200153.jpg

2. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Fungi, cotton like substance. Remove qt and treat

3. gschra11 Initiate Member

Would a fungus like that break the fish's skin?

4. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Most the time leasons occur then fungi appear. But if its really cotton like, its most likely not fungi and more of columnaris

5. Prep8611 Member Member

I tend to think if it was columnsris after a couple days the fish would be dead already but I'm no pro on fish disease yet. Columnaris also really isn't that prevalent of a disease. How long have you had the fish, water parameters, ect? Any information would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. gschra11 Initiate Member

I'm not sure I would describe it as "cotton-like." There isn't a fuzziness associated with it and its color is pinkish.

I was out of town for a three-day weekend. After coming back, the area doesn't seem to have changed much. The fish is still swimming as if there is nothing wrong at all.

Water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 80 nitrates and I haven't checked the pH in forever. The water temperature is 79.5°, +/-1°.

7. gschra11 Initiate Member

Fish still alive and swimming normally. I assume this is an injury. It is finally starting to shrink.