Macroalgae themed tank.

VietnamMinh

Is it possible to create a fowlr display tank with macroalgae as the grazing food for fish and decoraltions?

Jesterrace

You can, some folks have done it and have good luck with it. Here is a good example:

VietnamMinh

Well thanks. I think it could be easier than coral .

Jesterrace

Well thanks. I think it could be easier than coral .

Yes, if you aren't doing coral at all then it would be easier. Sure doesn't require expensive lighting like some coral do.

VietnamMinh

In my opinion, when growing macroalgae in the display tank, tangs and foxface will graze on it.
Dragonets and seahorse may also benefit from copepods and other palatable microorganisms. Many macros are edible to humans and are highly decorative. So when you trim excess macro for example ulva, gracilaria and sargassum you can consume it.

Deberber

If you wanted a different macro algae you could try some rhodopeltis, beautiful red color!

saltwater60

I think this is cool and I hope it works for you. However I think it will be tough to balance it and get it to where the fish don’t tear it apart and still have enough growing for them to eat. There is some very neat textures and colors of saltwater algae. You will likely have to order it online as it doesn’t show up in fish stores much.

Rcslade124

I'm hoping to grow some macro in my tank for a while before adding fox faves or tangs. That way it can thrive then add fish to eat it. Will it last with fish eating it probably not but will be cool for some time. Rest will be in fuge.

VietnamMinh

Well, it's easier for me to collect macroalgae at summer. I can go to certain beaches to collect them.

saltwater60

Well, it's easier for me to collect macroalgae at summer. I can go to certain beaches to collect them.
Well that’s cool. Try not to collect it too close to shore as the closer you get to shore the more contaminates generally.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
Kat66
Replies
Views
Mike
Replies
Views