M or F or still too early?

1. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

I've had my bn for a while and it's got little bristles on the tip of its nose and weird little bristles/spikes on the side of its face like whiskers. It's about 2.5 or 3 inches now I think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

I meant to add some pictres.. oops. The last picture is older so there aren't bristles but it's the only pic I had where you can see the spikes on the side

Attached Files:

3. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a boy. . He is looking good. Does he have a name? Alison;)

4. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

I never officially gave him a name... it's usually just Little Pleco which turned into L.P. so I guess it's L.P.

5. aliray

That works for me. :;hf Alison

6. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

It's amazing how big his head/front end grew. It looks so silly ❤

7. aliray

I think they call those projection on the side of his face grabbers. They are for protection and both males and females have them. Alison

8. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

Belly!

https://youtu.be/BoXtMVzCyhc

Attached Files:

9. aliray

You gotta love those plump little pleco bellies. Alison;)

10. OP
    OP
    MongooseALaMode

aliray When do males bristles typically start to get longer and branch?

LP is 3.5 inches and the bristles are still the same length. All but one are horizontally on its nose and there is one little nub in the center just above the others. I may just be impatient... and I know you are the expert but I'm not sure its male.

11. aliray

From the first two pictures I would say male. When I got my male albino Lucky he was about four inches from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail. I have had him for at least a year and a half. He came with a snout full of bristles on his nose. I bought him from Imperial Tropicals in Fla. He is now about 5and 1/2 inches to 6 inches and only has a couple of branched ones on his and still a lot of single ones so my guess the branching happens as they age. Alison:;hi1