M Molly Bullying F Betta

ghostomelon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello there, I am here with a fairly simple problem. We run a 30 gallon aquarium with 2 male mollies, 1 female molly and a female platy who thinks she is a molly. The tank also hosts a cleanup crew of a couple loaches and shrimp. The focal point of the tank is a male betta. He was living in a cup of crusty unfiltered water for over a year. We rescued him and gave him the new life he has. Since he has been moved in with other fish, he has never once been aggressive. I think he just appreciates the stimulation he gets from the other fish to interact with.

Anyway, now that you know that, we recently added a female betta to our tank. It was kind of an experiment, we didn't know how he would react. Surprisingly, all is going well between them. He loves her and a week later her fins are still in perfect condition. However, an unexpected problem has come up...

TLDR; the smallest male molly is bullying her all the time. He chases her relentlessly, on sight. I thought maybe it could be a gender ratio issue, but he has no interest in other mollies. Maybe he is confused, and thinks she is a molly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am here with a fairly simple problem. We run a 30 gallon aquarium with 2 male mollies, 1 female molly and a female platy who thinks she is a molly. The tank also hosts a cleanup crew of a couple loaches and shrimp. The focal point of the tank is a male betta. He was living in a cup of crusty unfiltered water for over a year. We rescued him and gave him the new life he has. Since he has been moved in with other fish, he has never once been aggressive. I think he just appreciates the stimulation he gets from the other fish to interact with.

Anyway, now that you know that, we recently added a female betta to our tank. It was kind of an experiment, we didn't know how he would react. Surprisingly, all is going well between them. He loves her and a week later her fins are still in perfect condition. However, an unexpected problem has come up...

TLDR; the smallest male molly is bullying her all the time. He chases her relentlessly, on sight. I thought maybe it could be a gender ratio issue, but he has no interest in other mollies. Maybe he is confused, and thinks she is a molly?

First of all the female and male bettas shouldn't be kept in the same tank but is the molly bigger than the female? Does she have any hiding spots?

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello i doubt the molly is confused about what species he's chasing. Do you have a backup tank you can put the female betta in. Is she still a baby, by any chance?

I would say that the 2 bettas together in that small of a space is a disaster waiting to happen, but there is always those few fish that like to go against the grain and prove everyone wrong. I hope that's the case here, lol.

You could always try getting more molly girls. Something to distract the boy. Usually the ratio to aim for is 2 to 3 females for every male. That may distract him from the female betta.

Also make sure there are LOTS of hides and plants for the bettas so they can get away if their being bullied.

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

I think it may be best just to take the female betta out of the tank if you can. Bettas really shouldn't live in the same tank, even if they seem to be getting along. You do have a bigger tank so that's probably why the male betta hasn't attacked her yet, but it is only a matter of time before something triggers one of them to attack the other. Separating her would also keep her away from the mollie who is bullying her.

ghostomelon

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello i doubt the molly is confused about what species he's chasing. Do you have a backup tank you can put the female betta in. Is she still a baby, by any chance?

I would say that the 2 bettas together in that small of a space is a disaster waiting to happen, but there is always those few fish that like to go against the grain and prove everyone wrong. I hope that's the case here, lol.

You could always try getting more molly girls. Something to distract the boy. Usually the ratio to aim for is 2 to 3 females for every male. That may distract him from the female betta.

Also make sure there are LOTS of hides and plants for the bettas so they can get away if their being bullied.
I will keep this in mind. It is possible that she will be separated into a new tank in the future. They have lots of live plants to swim through and hide in, various plant pots and hidey holes, tubes, etc. they really seem to enjoy. I don't know if she is a baby, but she is small so there is a possibility that she is immature and that's why she's not aggressive.

53836705_2373815519569581_1362854115851370496_n.jpg
54230832_580546269090295_4311225473792212992_n.jpg

As for "male and female bettas shouldn't be kept together", hey, I hear you. There's a strong possibility she may get moved into a new tank. If that were to happen, she would cause it. Our male is too friendly. Is something wrong with him? He seems pretty healthy he just really likes other fish.

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I will keep this in mind. It is possible that she will be separated into a new tank in the future. They have lots of live plants to swim through and hide in, various plant pots and hidey holes, tubes, etc. they really seem to enjoy. I don't know if she is a baby, but she is small so there is a possibility that she is immature and that's why she's not aggressive.

View attachment 537875 View attachment 537876

As for "male and female bettas shouldn't be kept together", hey, I hear you. There's a strong possibility she may get moved into a new tank. If that were to happen, she would cause it. Our male is too friendly. Is something wrong with him? He seems pretty healthy he just really likes other fish.
It sounds like you have a nice tank set up! I don't think there is anything wrong with him. I have had bettas since I was a kid and recently started the actual hobby of fish keeping. Every fish is different, including bettas, all of them will have their own personalities and characteristics. I currently have four male bettas and they are all different. One of my males, Drogon, he's a red and blue crowntail, is very aggressive and loves being the center of attention. Every time I sit at my desk he flares up at me and "dances" around his tank. On the other hand, one of my other males, Patchi, is calm, never really flares, and just wants to always be able to see what's going on. He reminds me more of a puppy than a fish.
Bettas' are also super smart and perceptive, so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually is grateful for you saving him and minds his manners because of it. It could also be that he is interested in your female betta. Is he making a lot of bubble nests? I also think your female betta is fully grown or close to it. She has her full colorations and her fins are fully developed.

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score

View attachment 537875 View attachment 537876

Your female looks exactly like my female betta I just bred yesterday! A red VT

LagerthaM

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for the tip! Bettas are beautiful fish and always wanted one but I have guppies mollies, platys and swordtails.
I haven't ever had a community tank with bettas but I think I have seen on here where users have community tanks with bettas and platys. If you had a big enough tank and I am not wrong about seeing that mentioned on here it could make for a pretty cool tank.

NikkiD078

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't ever had a community tank with bettas but I think I have seen on here where users have community tanks with bettas and platys. If you had a big enough tank and I am not wrong about seeing that mentioned on here it could make for a pretty cool tank.
Yeah that'd be pretty neat, maybe one day I should try adding a betta and see what happens. Interesting to see.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom